Chapter 53 It Has Started

"Party at my place, you guys be there tonight ;3" Rhea and Neel looked into their phones.

Rhea looked at Neel, "We should go,"
"What do you mean "we". What the hell? Me too?"
"He invited you too!"

"But I don't want to go-"
"Just shut up and get dressed. I'll ask Jessica to pick us up,"

It was Christmas eve, they reached Nason and looked at the lights decorating the entire buildings, a huge Christmas tree was set up in the reception. Rhea walked in her red long dress and Neel wore a white sweatshirt with Prussian blue jeans.
"I always knew he was rich but what the hell," He looked around.
"Rhea!" Miranda ran towards her and hugged, "You look so good!" She looked at Neel, "Who is he? He's a solid nine,"

"That's Neel," 
Miranda shook hands with him, "Hey, I'm Miranda!"
"Where is Ember?"
"In the lawn, he has been waiting for you!" She took Neel's hand, "You come with me, both of you,"

"But I don't want to-"
She dragged him with her to the lawn where the Christmas party was being held. Rhea got into the lawn with her canvas covered with a newspaper. She walked in and looked at everyone. Suddenly, her eyes stopped at Ember, he turned and looked at her, "Rhea!"
She smiled and walked towards him,

Miranda was dancing when Mark grabbed her hand, "Come with me,"
"Why?" He pulled her forcefully and walked towards another end of the lawn, "Maple was too busy to attend this party, wasn't he? Then, why is he here!" He pointed at Maple, dancing with a different girl. She quickly ran away and went inside the bathroom.
Mark stood outside the bathroom, "Your loyal boyfriend,"

"But...We're in a poly relationship,"
"You should still be his priority, Miranda. You're alone, here and he's dancing with another girl! How does this not hurt you? Either you're a good actor or you don't like him,"
"It hurts me...But I don't want to take away his freedom-"
Then you shouldn't have dated him,"

Loraine comes out of the men's washroom and looks at Mark, "Loraine, you tel her. Maple is here with some other girl,"
Loraine looked at the women's bathroom and walked in. 
"What the hell, Loraine!" Mark yelled.

Loraine hugged Miranda, "You have to let him go, he's not the right one for you,"
"But I love him,"
"If that love is destroying you, it's not worth it," He moved away from her and looked into her eyes, she was crying, "I did everything to make it work, it's so hard,"

"It's okay. He's not going to return that effort to you, you have to learn to let go. You deserve better and you know that," He told her. Maple stood outside the bathroom, "I knew I saw you running, but isn't this quite a scene,"

Loraine turned towards him, "So, you are against your own twin for a girl? Simp,"
"Shut up, Maple!" Miranda yelled, "You think you;re the man, seeing a new girl everyday? Well, good luck when you're not young anymore and have no one by your side. And if Loraine respecting me makes him a simp, then yes, every girl likes a simp. At least he's not a douchebag who sleeps around,"

Maple looked at her. It was the first time she spoke against him, "We are in a poly relationship, Miranda,"
"Not anymore. I'm breaking up with you. Because I deserve better,"

Miranda grabbed Loraine's hand and walked out of the bathroom. Mark followed them while Maple just stood inside the bathroom, "Whatever, she'll come back crying anyways,"

Ember was busy eating with Rhea when Mark reached him, "Ember,"
"Yeah?"

. . .

Miranda sat on a bench, away from the party, surrounded by Ashoka trees. Suddenly, she felt a warm can on her face and turned to look behind. Ember stood behind her with two cans of coffee "Here," He passed it to Miranda, "Girls like warm things, don't they?" Ember smiled at her.

"Thanks, Ember. But a coffee alone can't take away the frost," Miranda looked at the can.
"Drinking coffee doesn't bring an end to winter but it surely makes you feel better. And that's what its purpose is," He sat beside her, "I heard you broke up,"
"Just me being all dramatic again,"

"I envy you,"
She looked at him, "Why?"
"Well, look at it, you were able to get together with a person you liked, see their shortcomings and strengths and then decided whether you want to stay or leave. I wish I could do that too,"

"Ask Rhea out! Do it, tonight!"
He shook his head, "No, I can't," He laughed.
"Why not?"
"Because, she deserves better,"

"Who could be better than you?"
"Someone who doesn't have to depend on doctors throughout their life,"
She looked into his eyes, "Your face reminds me of him,"
"Oh, well, he is my triplet,"

"But you...You are beautiful,"
"Thank you,"
"Do you think I'm beautiful?"
He smiled "What is your definition of beautiful? Is it something to please others or is it something to please yourself?"

She laughed, "To please me,"
"Well, aren't you beautiful," He laughed, "Come, let's go back. Rhea must be looking for us,"
She held his hand, "Before you go, promise me, you'll tell her how you feel,"
He smiled, "I promise,"

They move towards the well-lit part of the lawn again. Rhea and Neel were sitting and eating with Loraine and Mark. Ember and Miranda sat with them.
"I saw a chocolate fountain," Rhea told him, "So, I dipped these in it,"
"Marshmallows?"
"Try it!"

He eats one, "This is so good!"
"I know right!"
"Give me more!"
They all eat together, "We should go now, it's getting late,"
"It's literally just eight in the evening! Stay a bit longer!"

"We can't," Rhea smiled, "Mom must be waiting for us,"
"Tell her you'll be late,"
"Yeah, she doesn't care," Neel said.
"Indian parents are very protective," Ember explained it and Miranda made a pout.

"Okay then, I'll be leaving for LA tomorrow. I'll miss you guys," She hugged her and then Neel.
"Take care and have a safe journey," He said.
"I will, bye-bye!"
Loraine turned back, "Ember, you're gonna drop...them...Where is he?"

Ember kneeled on the bathroom floor before a toilet seat while holding his stomach.
'It hurts!' He clenched his gut tighter. Blood from their nose dropped on the floor and his vision got blurry again. 

'Vomit, I need to vomit it all out!' He told himself and poked his fingers inside his throat. He forcefully threw up. After he was done, he sat back on the floor with a sweaty face and a heavy breath "My medicines," He searched through his pockets. He took out a small cylindrical box of white tablets from his pocket and chugged down two of them.

"Now it should hurt less," Ember stared at the ceiling and then slowly closed his eyes "Or should I just let it hurt until it can't anymore?"

-To be continued

Loraine Helberg Can't I Touch Your Heart?

Loraine Helberg 
Can't I Touch Your Heart?