Not Everything Needs to Be Optimized

Life-hack for this, easy hack for that, what's going on? Freddie Andalaft, a New Jersey-based hairstylist, traveler, photographer, and blogger is among those few who don't get the idea of unnecessary life optimization.

Here's what the man has to say about too much optimization, in his own words:

"I just can't understand what's happening in your lives that you need to find hacks for everything around you. It's like being productive, getting up, making your bed or doing even the most mundane tasks requires you tons of motivation.

 It's like being productive, getting up, making your bed or doing even the most mundane tasks requires you tons of motivation

How come you need to optimize everything around you? Why you just can't let things be?

If you look closely, you're doing exactly what you don't like to be done unto you: micromanage.

You're becoming a control freak, whether you realize it now, later or never. Taking charge of your life is one thing, but being this way all day, every moment, even when you don't need to, what's the point?

What are you gaining from all this? Let me tell you: you don't need all these brain boosting supplements. You don't need all the organizers on your phone.

Yes, life is busy, but that doesn't mean you need to make an appointment to meet yourself. You don't need to stay motivated all the time; you don't need to be happy all the time.

Yes, positivity is good, but an obsession with anything is wrong. If you aren't feeling happy, let it be, accept your blues and move on. Why do you need to be happy all the time?

There are days when I'm not all hunky-dory, and that's what makes me human. Our feelings, like the stock market, keep fluctuating, and that's the human element. It's like a Yin-Yang kind of thing."

Freddie Andalaft says the key lies in detachment, in living the life you love without feeling entitled to it. What are your thoughts about it?