27. Road Trips

27. Road Trips

"I'm nervous."

"Don't be! You'll do great!"

We opened the door to the BMV and felt the cool air rush out to the hot summer day. The soft music played over the radios above. Three lanes we're open and we walked over to the first one on the left. The BMV was always crowded, for some reason. It was a warm Saturday morning, roughly 10 am. It was Sal, Henry, and I to go with Sal to get his driver's license. He made the decision to go and get it shortly after we talked about me going to college.

"Next!" The older lady called from behind the window. She smiled at us blandly. "How can I help you?"

"Hi, uh, I'm here to take my driver's test?" Sal stammered, he was extremely nervous and had told me at least 15 times already today.

"Did you have an appointment?" She asked, grabbing a large book and opening it. It was a day by day calendar. She flipped to today and looked up at Sal.

"Uh, oh yeah, Sal Fisher." He replied.

"Okay, Sal. Just take a seat and we will call you when the next person comes back." She said, pointing to a row of chairs next to a fake plant.

"Thank you." He said, walking over to sit down. Henry and I followed. I sat beside Sal as he grabbed a Popular Mechanic's magazine, flipping through the pages. I looked up to see the lady's behind the counter, staring and whispering. They stopped when I made eye contact.

"I'll have to take my mask off." Sal whispered. "Any government documents that requires a photo, I can't wear it."

"That's kind of stupid." I replied.

He shrugged, "It's not my real face, so I understand."

Moments passed, then a half hour, then an hour before the next available driver came back. They led Sal out to the car and I watched as the checked the safety features on the car. Headlights, turn signals (front and back) as well as the horn.

Sal told me that about a year and a half ago, shorty before I moved, he started taking hormone replacers. They caused him to grow taller, and fill out from his small stature. When I met Sal, he had apparently just started growing. He was at about 5 foot 3, but now he's just shy of 5 foot 8. The doctors said he would probably grow an inch or more before he finally topped out.

It was strange that I never noticed that he had gotten taller than me until now, just thinking about it [sorry for my tall gals who are more than 5'8" 🙃] But, it's good he grew cause I don't know how he would have seen over the steering wheel.

He was in Henry's Ford Fusion he just got a couple months ago. It wasn't new, probably a 2013, but it had a ever nice inside. Sal had only ever drove it once or twice. He had his permit for around 6 months before he made the actual decision. He kept renewing it since he was 15, but never wanted to do driving school or anything. Now that he's 18, he didn't have to.

It didn't take as long for him to come back. The lady who drove with him smiled at us when she walked in. She handed some papers over to the lady we talked to earlier and gave us a wave before heading to the next person. Sal sat down beside me.

"I passed."

"Good job, Sally!" I smiled.

"We knew you would, son!" Henry said, smiling at his boy. "Do we just have to wait to be called?"

"Yeah, once she gets everything entered, I'll be able to go and get my license." He said.

It took as long as expected, probably around 20 minutes for Sal to be called up to the front desk. We watched as she walked him down to the other side of the room where a chair sat in front of a background.

"Okay, Sal. I'm sure you know you'll have to take your mask off." The lady said, adjusting the camera. He nodded and reached up to clip off the mask. He placed it in his lap.

That same expression formed on her face, as it does on everyone's. Yes, his face was different, but everyone's face is different. I watched as he gave a small smile and the lights flashed.

"Okay, Sal. It'll be a few minutes. Just have you come down here and fill out a little form and you'll be all set."

Sal drove us home afterwards. Henry sat in the front and I sat in the back, behind him. I watched Sal as he drove. I was very proud of him.

We got back to the apartment and dropped Henry and the car off before grabbing Sal's car. Henry got a new car after Sal decided to get his license, so he actually ended up keeping his old car to give to Sal. It was a first generation, so 2011, Chevy Cruze that I made fun of him for having as it was a girl car in my opinion.

"You can't make fun of me, it's black." He laughed, rolling down his window slightly before rolling mine down as well. We drove down the back roads of Nockfell for a while. The radio was currently playing "Don't Threaten Me With a Good Time" by Panic! At the Disco.

"My dad and I literally looked at buying me this exact car, but in baby blue." I laughed.[I drove this car and if you love baby blue you should check it out. It's the prettiest color car ever]

"Oh shush it." He laughed. "You just like to make fun of me, don't you?" He asked, grabbing my hand, interlacing his fingers in mine. Our hands rested on the center console.

"Always, baby cakes." I chuckled. I grabbed his phone from he cup holder and changed the song. "Sky Fall" by Sanity's Fall started playing.

"I'm glad I have you in my life."