III. Her Questions

~~~~ALIRA's POV~~~~

Three days passed and still, new faces keeps on popping up back into my life. Again and again. Some I can remember but still blurry, some I cannot. I think some are relatives. Some are friends, mom's officemates, and neighbours. To think that a lot of people are concerned about me makes me dizzy all the time. And also, for some reasons, seeing them makes my head pound a lot so I sometimes can’t help but to scream to cool it off. But I thought I’m scaring them all away so I often just pretended to be asleep.

Thanks to them (my so-called visitors), I can somehow understand what’s happening little by little. I am still lying on my bed. I still can’t sit. And I still can’t converse so I pretended to be sleeping just to eavesdrop. I intended to do that since I felt that they are keeping something away from me.

With all those eavesdropping moments I had in those three boring days I can now confirm that the woman in the couch and the slim guy who looked like in his teens is indeed my mom and brother. I had a car accident with my friends during our trip to somewhere. I was in the worst state among them. 'Vegan state' for 7 months. The good thing I heard was, everyone is okay. Those people I was with during the accident, was all fine. I was actually waiting for the bad news. Thank God, I was all but the bad news. Well not me, but what happened to me. This sucks! Tsk.

I also heard one time that, this room was really expensive and good thing that we can afford it. My mom told my relatives that it was my friends who took care of all the expenses. Hmmm. It was so good of them if that’s the case. I wanted to know why they did that but I don’t want to blow up my cover yet so I stayed put and listened to all those gossips on the outside world. Yeah, I call it the 'outside world' since I’m stuck here in this room.

Then I wondered, with all those visitors we had, I am curious as to why they are not visiting. Whom? Those friends I was with in the accident. I am so sure, because almost everyone except for the girl named Anika is asking about how everyone is doing. It’s like she knows.

Anyway, my mom asks her how she was after that incident. Since I’m always pretending to be asleep (eyes close of course), I can’t hear her answer but I have a feeling that she just smiled to my mom for reassurance. I think I fell asleep that same time because when I woke up, no one is inside the room with me.

Suddenly, the door opened and in an instant I close my eyes. I heard the doctor and my mom talking.

"Tita," I was like Tita?. What??? Who is this guy? One of our relatives? Hmmm. That's news.

"...you should rest. Since she woke up, you never left her side anymore. No, since that accident, you never had rested well enough. Don’t you see Tita, they will never disobey you. Don’t worry. You know that we'll look after her." My mom is not answering. I wanted to see her face. Tss. And wait, ‘they will never disobey her?’ Who? And, for what reason? Gosh! I wanted to confront them and ask. But, I can’t.

Jeeesh. I still can’t talk. Or should I say, I chose not to.

I was afraid. Reason? I don’t know, I was just afraid.

The following morning, I realized why I am keeping myself from talking and why I am afraid. I heard my mom said. "Aldie, why is she not talking? Why is she always sleeping or screaming every time there are people visiting her. You said she should have company all the time for her easy recovery right?"

"Tita, I’m sorry, but we'll never know not until she communicates with us. Not a word since she woke up?" Aldie asks.

"None that I know of." Mom replied.