Chapter Eleven

Word Count: 1750

~Rosie

Nothing Time has said has ever made me so frightened.

He's gliding around the room, making something so hasty so elegant. I can't stand him. Here he is, thinking he can drag me back in time with his magical powers I was hoping to avoid. There has to be a way to get out of this. I'm not sure what would be worse, being taken back in time, or being a slave to another powerful immortal.

"I'm glad you're not questioning my abilities," Time says, as he motions for me to follow him out the bedroom.

"Well, I'm not doubting your abilities, although, I'm not as happy about this as you may assume," I tell him, trying to keep up with the quickness of his step. "Hey, whereabouts in time are we going? Like, how far back?"

Time doesn't even pause.

"Very far back. I mean over a million years," he tells me.

My heels dig into the ground as I come to a stop right at the top of the stairway. Time pauses, looking over his shoulder at me. I've known Time and all those other Immortals have lived as long as a million years, but I've never once been curious about what life was like back them.

"I'm not going back that far. People there will know I'm not from the era," I tell him, rubbing my arm uncomfortably. Who knows what laws existed back then even. I might offend someone, and wind up in jail a million years ago.

"Sinful has a bit of time manipulation but not nearly as much as myself. When he does have the ability, he won't be able to go back that far," he explains.

I have to stop myself from shaking him.

"Why are you looking at me like that? We need to go now, before he catches wind of what is happening. And don't worry, believe it or not, not much has changed. The population was less and everything was much simpler, but in the immortal world, you'll hardly notice a difference," he tells me. I have a feeling he is being generous in that statement.

There is no other choice. I'm going whether I want to or not. Maybe I could protest, or establish an elaborate reason why he can trust to leave me here. Why can't he just put up a magical barrier to keep this guy out?

"I'm not ready for this...I don't want to go back in time," I tell him, as if it's going to make any difference. He doesn't pause until we make it just outside the house.

I wish I could dig my heels and go nowhere.

"How Sinful scared you back there was only the smallest sliver of what he could do to you. Immortal play these games for fun and for revenge, so imagine the worst possible punishment when he gets his hands on you," Time says sternly, making me shiver. I know he is right, but I'm faced with two evils. I trust neither Time nor Sinful.

"I really don't want this. I can't go back in time," I tell him, crossing my arms over my chest. For a moment I swear I see a moment of sympathy, but it's only fleeting.

"I'm sorry I have to do this, then."

There was little I could do. He grabbed my arm, and before I could pull away, everything underneath me collapsed into a black hole. Falling, I clutch Time tightly, eyes squeezed shut. This is different to when he was transporting me to his manor. My head aches, as if it's going to explode, the pressure against my temples almost too much to bare.

Just when I thought I was about to scream at the unbearable pain, all at once, all the pressure and sound ceased, my feet touched the ground, and the air around me drifted back to a soft breeze, rather than a vortex of wind.