oscar • spooky

(sorry the imagines are taking so long, ive been testing and just trying to pass this school year)

You took Cesar out to get milkshakes. It's been a routine thing between the two of you since Oscar had gotten locked up months before. Originally is was to make him feel better, like he had a parent there. In a way, you were partially his guardian.

Everything was like it always was until y'all suddenly hear loud music bumping from a car stereo. You were slightly annoyed, assuming it was some of the Santos following y'all around. That was until you noticed green in your rearview mirror.

Cesar looked up from his phone, "What's wrong?" He had felt the tension in the air.

"Prophets. In Santos territory." You said in a low voice, glaring at the flashy car through your sideview. "Don't worry though, I know how to get them off our tail."

"Do you want me to call Oscar?"

You almost slammed on the breaks, "Nooo, mijo! I don't need him getting pissy about it and following us here. This is me and you time, remember?"

The young Santos face looked unsure, but he agreed nonetheless.

After taking a few unexpected turns and making the drive a little longer than needed, y'all finally arrived. The shop, Cherry's, was ancient in the neighborhood. Your first memory from the place was from when you were barely five.

"I will never understand that." He cringed, watching as you ordered yours with no whipped cream.

You laughed, handing the cashier the bills, "And I will never understand why you do that." He proceeded to dip his finger into the whipped cream and lick it like it actually was good.

"Disgustang!!" You fake gagged, quoting one of you and Cesar's favorite vines. The summer before freshman year, you and Oscar would make Cesar watch vines with the two of you. It was one of your favorite memories.

As you walked out the door, something didn't feel right.

Your spidey senses were right, because a bright green mustang sat a couple feet away. It's occupants had looks of trouble on their faces. You could hear your heart in your ears, "Fuck, shit." 

It didn't take Cesar long to spot the issue either, and he quickly put an arm in front of you. As his mother/sister figure of sorts, you felt the need to protect him instead. But you had to remember- he was getting older now. He could probably do more than you could in this situation, anyways. 

A head of dreadlocks popped out of the car window, "Look who it is, Spooky's bitch and ah, what's the lil nigga's name? What they call you?" 

"Lil Spooky," Cesar puffed, his before happy, relaxed expression now replaced with a look of seriousness. "What about it?"

The man laughed, punching one of his homie's shoulders. "You hear dat? Lil Spooky?" He turned back and looked us dead in the eyes, "Cute." 

You could feel his grip tighten on you. He was getting angry. "Leave us the fuck alone." 

There was no more laughter now. 

"Tell your brother to get his friends outta our side of town before we blow all your heads off," His gun was now apparent. "Got it?" 

"Got it."  Your response was faster than Cesar's, because you knew he might say something that could get y'all killed.  Even though you hated feeling so submissive and helpless tot he enemy, your priority was making sure Cesar was safe. 

"Good." 

That was the end of the conversation, and after they rode off the intensity of the moment lingered. Cesar shook his head before taking out his phone. You knew what he was about to do, so you snatched it from him. 

He blinked in surprise, "What the hell are you doing?" 

"Watch your language. And you aren't telling him anything. There's already enough going on and this is nothing. I know what's best, Cesar. Just do what I say." 

He mumbled a 'yes ma'am'  under his breath and didn't bother arguing. At least not while you were using your mom voice. 

The walk home was silent.

-

Things were going relatively normal, besides the fact that there wasn't anymore Coke in the fridge. You had reminded Oscar to get some multiple times, but he always forgot unless you told him right before he left for a run. With the summer heat making it's presence known, you needed an ice cold Coca Cola to cool down. 

"Bebe, donde esta el refresco!?" You yelled, walking into the shared room. 

Oscar was sitting on the edge of the bed, looking deeply into space.  He was biting on his lower lip and the air felt warmer than before. 

You knew something was up. Placing yourself on the bed and wrapping your arms around him you asked, "What's wrong, baby?" Much to your surprise, he pulled away from you and stood over you instead. 

"Why didn't you tell me, (Y/N)?" 

At first, it didn't hit you. It had been a week or so since the incident and quite frankly you had forgotten about it. Almost. 

"Cesar said something, didn't he?" The reply came out as a sigh. 

"Barely. He slipped up because he can't keep a fucking secret. Not like you can." His words had a venom to them, and you could tell he was hurt. 

You rubbed your eyes, preparing for the rest of the conversation. "I know you're upset but it's not that I didn't want to tell you it's just-" 

"That's a lie. You didn't want to tell me at all." 

"Fine. I didn't." 

Oscar hadn't expected that answer, you could tell by the quick look of shock on his face.

"Pensé que no habíamos dicho secretos, beba." 

(Translation: I thought we said no secrets, babygirl.)

Now that shocked you. Freshman year in the month of May, the two of you were drinking and smoking in his backyard on a Saturday night. When out of the blue Oscar had grabbed your hand and looked you in the eye and made you promise him something. That there would be no big secrets, ever. After you promised, he pulled you onto his lap and kissed you. The taste of tequila and cigarettes still on his lips. 

That's what your relationship was built on- trust. The only secrets Oscar was allowed to keep were ones that were gang-related, because he didn't want you getting hurt or targeted even more than you already were. 

"Lo siento, Ozzie. I didn't want to start anything or get anyone killed. You know that." Your voice cracked, guilt worsening knowing you had hurt him with your actions. 

His features softened at the use of the nickname you gave him when you two were in elementary. "Anything that has to do with your safety is my concern. You should've told me sooner. What if they had came back and killed both of you? Two of the most important people in my life would be gone. Did you consider that?" 

Your breath hitched in your throat as you listened to him. "I understand that now. I just... didn't want us to feel like a burden to you. I just want everything to be at peace for once. I just thought if I didn't say anything and didn't go over there with Cesar anymore, that everything would be okay. I'm so sorry." You couldn't help the tears running down your face now. Anytime you got in an argument or confrontation with him you started crying. Whether it was sad or angry tears. 

Oscar lowered himself so he wasn't looming over you. He rested his elbows outside your thighs and gently placed his hands on your face. "Tell me these things, okay? We can figure out what to do together, okay?" His thumbs wiped away your tears. 

You nodded, wrapping his arms around him once again. This time he didn't pull away and returned the favor. Minutes went by, but they felt like a few angelic seconds. 

"Te amo, (Y/N)."

"I love you too, Oscar."