Chapter Eighteen: Bury Me in the Meatloaf, Even Though I Swear It Moves

Annie came upstairs about an hour later and gave me licorice. I put it in a baggie on my nightstand. 

  "Twin, you love licorice!" she shouted, appalled. 

  Dakota walked in just in time for my explanation.

  "It's the medicine. It makes me not hungry, and really tired. I almost fell asleep in my tea at school yesterday."

  "What medicine?" Dakota asked.

  "None of your business. And who said you could come into my room?!" I tried to shoo him, but he wouldn't move. Instead, he walked in and sat on the couch.

  "Where's Toady?"

  "To-bee, and she's at her dad's house."

  "Ohh, I see. Your boyfriend's got her for the night."

  "He is NOT my boyfriend."

  My phone dinged, as if on cue, and sure enough it was Peter. 

  Can I stop by? Left my jacket there.. ~Peter Pan

  Peter Pan? ~Leabug

  Ella's is tinkerbell ~Peter Pan

  Great. Anyways, no, I have company. ~Leabug

  Hey, at least I asked first. Unlike SOME people. ~Peter Pan

  We were supposed to go out for ice cream two hours before that. If you'd have kept your promise, we wouldn't be in this mess okay? So shove it. ~Leabug

  Whatever. ~Peter Pan

 "See, she's even texting him. She loves him," Dakota said.

  "Shove it up your--" I started. Twin interrupted me.

  "Anyways! What's going on Twin?" I tossed her my phone. She read through the messages, and as soon as her eyes widened, Dakota stole it and ran. We instantly chased after him and he had already finished reading it by the time we caught up. 

  "So, you caught him making out with another girl, and you're jealous. Correct?" 

  I turned a deep scarlet.

  "Correct. So, what are you going to do to Ella? Kill her? Sick Annie on her? What?" he said tossing me my phone.

  "Nothing. I'm not jealous of a tramp, so I'm going to let him be happy. What's done is done."

  "Yeah yeah."

  "We better go make Ellie dinner. By Twin, love you.." Annie and I hugged and they trudged out the door.

  I found Peter's jacket and inspected it. It smelled like him. I put it by the door and climbed into bed. 

  I had gotten through every period up til Smellowitz' class with puffy eyes and an extra long-sleeved hoodie to cover my shaking hands.

  Smellowitz was collecting babies. He was calling couple by couple, and we had to hand them in. I was going to miss her, but I was glad I didn't have to deal with Peter anymore.

  "Lea and Peter, Annie and Dakota, I need you to hang back," he said when the bell rang. We hadn't given back Ellie or Toby yet, and today had gone like a normal day from before Toby. Peter teasing with his friends, everybody getting along, and leaving Twin and I out. They seemed happy, and I was invisible once again. "Peter, you can go to lunch, but the rest of you need to come with me to the office. Now."

  Twin and I grabbed for eachother's hand, and Mr. Smellowitz took Ellie away from us. Peter had apparently gotten Toby turned in. Walking down the hall, Dakota looked at me and I looked back knowingly. We'd been found out. He reached out for my hand. He grabbed it firmly and we walked down the hallway.

  "You three are in SO much trouble. Have a seat," the highschool principal said. We all exchanged a look. It was over. "You know why you're here?" 

  "Yes sir.." we whispered in unison.

  "Why?"

  We stayed silent.

  "Imitating highschoolers. Sneaking into highschool a year early. Ring any bells!?" His shouting rang through the tiny office.

  "Yes sir."

  "You know what happens next right?"

  "No.." Dakota and I said.

  "We go to the middle school and become eighth graders?" Annie guessed.

  "And you get three weeks detention. Plus, you'll be on cafeteria clean up duty all three weeks. Do I make my self clear?!"

"Yes sir."

"Crystal clear.." I mumbled.

  "Now go clean out your lockers and get your stuff down here. We'll be driving you back to the middle school as soon as your done. You will eat lunch and report to the sixth period class as assigned. Ten minutes to get back here. Go."

  We speed walked down the hall, but everything was in slow motion.

  At orientation for eighth grade, Mr. Smellowitz had pulled us aside to talk to us about being in his class. Although we knew we were going to be in trouble if we were found out, we risked it and snuck into high school orientation as ninth graders. Surprisingly for a small town, no one noticed us. We knew it was wrong, and I was certainly regretting it. Highschool sucks.

  We got back to the office just in time to get on the short bus to drive us to the middle school. I caught Peter's eye in the cafeteria just as the bus pulled out, and he glared before looking away at the now fully clothed Ella.

  Once we got to the middle school, they handed us schedules. Twin and I had five out of seven classes together, and Dakota and I had the other two with just me, but three with both of us. The school smelled of crayons and dirt.

  We went into the cafeteria just in time to inhale a plate of retched meatloaf. Twin and I ran to art, for sixth period, and got several looks from the other students.

  We were now officially Dakota Manson, Shaylea Miles and Annie Claire-Sohma, class of 2017.