Chapter Four

*time skip a few moons*

Foxkit quivered with excitement. Today was Echopaw, Nightpaw's, and his apprentice ceremony. He looked over at Flowerear and her two new kits, Bearkit and Squidkit. He would miss them, but Acornpaw and Icepaw had been apprenticed to Mottledwing and Dewtail the moon before and he didn't want to miss out. He looked up as Bluegaze started licking his head, trying to clean his fluffy, messy fur. "Mom, I'm fine." he said. Just as Bluegaze was about to protest Mossstar called from High Branch.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the High Branch for a clan meeting." Mosstar waited for the cats to gather then waved his tail for silence. "Badgerwisker, you are now ready to take on a apprentice. You will mentor Nightpaw. Badgerwisker, you have shown yourself to be loyal and caring. And now I ask you to pass down all you know to this apprentice." Badgerwisker bent down his head and touched noses with Nightpaw.

Foxkit waited while Mossstar apprenticed Echopaw to Hawkeye and finally it was his turn. "Jaysplash," Mossstar spoke, "you are now ready to take on another apprentice. You will mentor Foxpaw. Jaysplash, you have proven yourself to be brave and clever, and I hope you will pass down all you know to this apprentice." Foxpaw touched his nose to his mentor then ran over to join his family.

"I can't believe we're finally apprentices!" meowed Echopaw as he reached her.

"Ya, I thought we would have to wait forever." said Nightpaw.

Sharpkit came over to the the trio. "Err congratulations." he said sounding slightly disappointed.

"Don't worry, Mossstar will probably apprentice you within half a moon." said Foxkit sensing his disappointment, "Your not that much younger then us."

"I know, but what if I wind up being the only apprentice."

"I won't let Mossstar make me a warrior until you can be one. Besides half a moon isn't that much of a difference." promised Echopaw.

"Really? Thanks." Sharpkit said sounding happier.

Just then Acornpaw, Brownpaw, Cinderpaw, Minnowpaw, and Icepaw padded over to the newly made apprentices.

"Congratulations." said Cinderpaw while Minnowpaw stood by her sister shyly.

"I guess I'll go." said Sharpkit going back to the nursery as Echopaw, Nightpaw, and Foxpaw got congratulated by the other apprentices.

"Its good to have some more apprentices. Maybe now someone else can check the elder's for ticks." said Icepaw.

"You should go get some rest, you'll want some sleep for tomorrow." suggested Brownpaw.

"Yeah c'mon." said Acornpaw leading the new apprentices to the apprentice den. Minnowpaw and Cinderpaw curled up in their nests next to eachother. Nightpaw lay down next to Icepaw and Acornpaw while Brownpaw fell asleep in a corner nest. Foxpaw and Echopaw lay down together. The others fell asleep quickly, but Foxpaw listened to the others soft breathing and snoring as he thought about being a apprentice before finally falling asleep.