#2. The summoning

My mother held tightly onto my hand as we approached the pack house. Flanked by my father and uncle, we made our way inside the packed room. People were standing around everywhere, available seatings long since occupied. My stomach turned as the crowd enveloped us, the buzzing of voices swarming together inside my head. Coming together in a single scream. I closed my eyes, breathing in my nose and out of my mouth. Counting to ten as darkness prickled at the edge of my vision. 

My father soothingly rubbed my back, and I leaned into my mothers arms for support. Looking around the room I locked eyes with the Alpha's son. He stood tall, with his father at his side and little sister clutching his pants. If you did not know him you might not have noticed the way his mouth twitched, or his shoulders were unnaturally stiff. He nodded at me, and I tried to smile reassuringly at him. Once he had confided in me how the pressure and expectations of being the Alpha's son would suffocate him, and make it impossible to breathe. It is strange, what people tell you when you keep quiet and listen. 

He seemed to relax a bit at my wobbly smile, loosening his rigid stance just a little. I might have imagined it, the change was subtile, almost unnoticeable. However, I did have a lot of experience watching people. Being the quiet lonely child, I had learned a lot from my fellow pack members by watching them over the years. Valuable skills they probably did not wish to pass down to others than their children. Locating freshwater, finding shelter, making your stance and growl appear more intimidating. Skills I had gathered over the years, skills that might help me in the Ranking. Or so I hoped.

A lot of people were busy talking amongst themselves, and did not notice the footsteps at first. Me being a scout, the unusual quiet approach immediately made me perk up. Strangers were moving towards us, more than one pair of feet, I noticed. As they appeared in the doorway the pack fell quiet. All eyes turned towards the double doors, where the two figures appeared. One man, one woman, as was tradition.  They were dressed in the purest white, with ice blonde hair and cold eyes. 

"Be greeted, Silent Runners." The female addressed our pack. Her voice was strong, easily carrying across the room. 

Bowing our heads in response, we echoed the traditional  greeting. "Welcome Assemblers", our voices chimed in the quiet room. 

The silver haired female took a step forwards, opening her hands as if she wished to embrace all of us. "We have come to assemble your young, your hopeful, your strong. We ask all the unranked of age to step forward now." she commanded in a strong melodic voice. 

Straightening my back I retrieved from my mothers arms, gripping the hands of my father and uncle once before approaching the open doors.

Julian, the alphas son walked alongside me, and we joined the group of people in front of the Assemblers. 

"Greetings, unranked." They addressed us together, their voices in perfect harmony. 

I looked into the eyes of the man, feeling a chill run through my bones as he smiled at me, measuring me with the pale eyes of a killer. 

"This is the end of an era for you", his dark voice boomed.

 "It is time for you to leave your childhood behind, and connect with your roots. The wilderness calls you. Say your goodbyes, and join us at the edge of the forest". Once the words had been spoken, the Assemblers violently shredded their clothing. 

Howling as the pure silk fell ruined to the ground, they revealed their true form. Their black fur contrasted harshly against the snow. Their eyes were a dull grey, unseeing as a punishment for their actions. In one single gracious leap they turned their backs on us, running towards the treeline. 

I flinched, nearly tumbling over as the boy in front of me rushed backwards in fear. His eyes were wide when he turned towards me, apologizing. He looked over his shoulders towards the trees, shuddering as he made a beeline for his family. I bit the inside of my cheek, aware we had much worse things coming for us. I hoped he would harden fast. 

"Hey, are you alright?" Julian asked, resting a hand on my shoulder. I nodded distracted, noticing my mother emerging from the crowd. 

I made my way towards her, and she gripped onto me like her life depended on it. 

"Listen to me", she whispered in my ear, with a strength I had never noticed in her before. "You are weak, unthreatening and small". She leaned in closer to me. "They will underestimate you. They will take your silence as proof you have nothing to say. They will mistake your observance for inability to make a decision. Let them. It will be your biggest advantage. Do not ruin that perspective until the moment you are ready to destroy them".

Leaning back, she kissed my forehead. "Be strong, my dear. You are more powerful than them all". 

Whoa, two chapters in one day

Whoa, two chapters in one day. That's impressive!

 Do you agree with Claudias mother? Is is really a strength to be underestimated? Comment and tell me what you think.

 And as always, if you enjoyed the chapter please click the star to vote! Hearing from you guys really motivates me to continue writing, and updating more frequently.

Love you all! xoAndromedAox