Dancing with a Devil

Edited on Marth 10th 2021

                    "Wow..." You said, looking up at the old home from your much shorter vantage point compared to its grand size and appearance, even if it was falling down in some spots. You glanced at the deer who was also looking at it as if it was saddened by the sight, maybe it once knew the place when it was at its peak. You wondered what the old owners were like and what caused them to abandon it like this. As if on cue, you heard thunder in the distance and looked upwards to see a dark storm cloud approaching, looming overhead like your father had done to your mother. The image was recalled into your brain and you shivered, your form suddenly growing cold at the thought-- your father's eyes flashing into your brain, burned into the back of your eyelids. The deer glanced at you for a moment and then slowly walked inside, looking back at you to follow after it noticed you didn't follow after him.

                   Your hands shook as you thought back on it all-- you were alone now. Your mother was dead, your father was most likely looking for you at this very moment, and you would have to hide in some fallin-in home in order to stay hidden. But, it was better than nothing, right? After noticing the deer looking back at you patiently, its ear twitching toward the storm at the sound of every thunderous sound as if telling you that it was getting closer. You said a quick, 'I'm sorry' to the creature, power-walking towards it (as best you could, anyway) and following it inside once again. Each sound of closing-in thunder reminded you of the echo of the gun that your father had used, and each echo of it caused you to walk a little faster and your heart to beat a little harder in your chest.

                    When you got inside after a few moments, you collapsed on the dusty couch. You didn't even care about the thick layer of dust on the torn and tattered sofa, right now all you needed to do was sleep. Just about anywhere was better than that cold ground outside again. The deer's hooves clicked on the floor below you into the room you were in which you later on assumed to be the Game Room. The deer laid by the couch and watched you as you slowly drifted off to sleep as you curled up into a small ball, pressing your back to the sofa's fabric for extra warmth.

                   Your brain, too tired to bother you, seemed to have been the first thing to relax into oblivion-- but your heart was much too heavy to simply fall asleep like that. The longer you laid there, the more you wanted to cry. But, no tears ever came to your eyes which left you only to tremble in sadness as you awaited sleep and peace-- though it came so much slower and darker than it ever had before. What were you going to do...?

~~~

                    Your eyes slowly opened, the smell of fresh rain and damp wood filling your nose. As you sat up, peeling your face off of the worn and weathered sofa, your eyes darted from one corner to the next. Fear grasped at your form for some reason, maybe thinking that your father was near or hoping it was all some sort of sick nightmare. The loud thunder outside made you jump and look outside of the hazy, wet window nearby, seeing that it was still raining from all of the sheets of rain water that was sliding down its surface.

                  Oh, it must have been raining all night. You thought to yourself and you slung your legs back onto the wooden floor softly. You looked around the room for a moment and noticed the deer was gone. Your heart skipped a beat for a moment, did it leave you...? A tear arose in your (e/c) eyes, you sniffled lightly and curled up on the sofa's seat. Between the death of your parent, the gunshot, your running away, and now your friend-- even if it was just an animal-- leaving you, you found yourself brokenhearted and crushed.

                   I knew it, no one would ever want to stay with me... You thought as you reached into your pocket and pulled out your mother's heart-shaped locket and looked at it sadly. The gold trinket began to warm up when a tear hit it in the center, reflecting the sadness on your face in its shiny golden surface. Your eyes widened as you saw the reflection of your mother appear behind you, her form tinted golden. You turned around and did not see her, causing the hope that you had felt course through your body to shatter, but then you heard a whisper from the locket; which sounded like your mother.

                    "(Y/n)... I- I don't have long to talk to you, I need you to l-listen," her voice sounded as if speaking through a walky-talky, clouded by static, "My darling girl, please don't cry over my death. I have asked someone to protect you in my absence. For your knowledge I will tell you the basic-c-c about him, h-he is a powerful demon I met b-b-before I was killed. His name is Alastor..... b-b-black deer.....t-this n-necklace i-is a s-sign o-of his protection, please w-w-wear it. Be safe my sweet....I love y-y-you...." The longer she spoke, the more glitchy and weak the voice sounded until it faded out fully into nothing.

                   Then the locket slowly opened on its own to reveal two old pictures of your mother and you on both sides. The one on the left side was back when you were much younger. The two of you getting ice cream, both laughing because you got some on your nose. And, the one on the right was when you had climbed a big tree and could not get down. So, your mother had climbed up the tree to get you too but then she did not know how to get back down so you two just had lunch up there from the picnic you two had made while you waited for help. You smiled a little at the memories and then another tear spilled from your eye when you thought of your mother selling her soul to a demon for you.

                    As if it was waiting for the best time to enter, the front door opened. You looked up from the pictures within the locket and saw the black deer, dripping wet. It seemed like the door had opened before it even got an arm's length away, seemingly on its own. It's hooves clicked on the wooden floor as it's red eyes glowed against the rainy yard behind you. It looked into the room towards you silently, could this thing really be a demon?

                  You didn't feel scared at all strangely, just a little uneasy, you would admit, but then it-- he-- sneezed and the uneasiness disappeared. You giggled slightly, sniffling as you wiped away your tears, and ran up the creaky stairs, leaving it looking confused as to what you were doing.