Chapter 23 - 'Um Nath'

Falling in love is like getting hit by a truck and yet not being mortally wounded. just sick to your stomach, high one minute, low the next. Starving hungry but unable to eat. hot, cold, forever horny, full of hope and enthusiasm, with momentary depressions that wipe you out. It is also not being able to remove the smile from your face, loving life with a mad passionate intensity, and feeling ten years younger. Love does not appear with any warning signs. You fall into it as if pushed from a high diving board. No time to think about what's happening. It's inevitable. An event you can't control. A crazy, heart-stopping, roller-coaster ride that just has to take its course. Is it possible to be in love after just days of knowing each other? Can such an emotion take hold in such little time? Is it just a budding beginning to grow that spurts prematurely but lasts a life time. You see love can develop within the shortest spaces of time and can last forever, just not all love will.

‘Yeah, it’s true, Nareesha and I are having a baby! It wasn’t planned but we’re so happy’ Siva blushed. He leaned over and whispered in her ear but we could all hear what he was saying ‘babe, I thought we were going to keep it a secret for a little while longer?’ ‘Babe, they shared their good news with us so I thought I should share our good news with them. One good turn deserves another after all’ she whispered back. ‘Um guys, have you seen this morning’s paper?’ Max asked studying the front cover. ‘No’ everyone replied in unison huddling over Max. ‘Oh shit’ Nathan mumbled. ‘Boy band star seen snogging Australian local’ was scribbled across the top, just above the picture of Nathan snogging the mouth off Avery.

‘Nathan Sykes (19) of boy band The Wanted was seen snogging a mystery brunette in an Australian night club last night as he partied with his band mates and friends. Later on in the evening they were seen cuddling and smooching in the corner, isolated from the rest of the group. The pair were seen leaving the night club where a sober Sykes helped his companion into her taxi before walking back to the hotel with the rest of the boys. So has baby of the band Sykes got himself a girlfriend? In previous weeks he declared him as single and dismissed rumours that he is dating Amy Winehouses’ singer/presenter Goddaughter Dionne Bromfield. How will the fans take Nathan’s new relationship? Not well I suspect.’

‘Oh shit’ Nathan mumbled again. ‘That’s even worse than I thought. They say everything, well except your kiss’ he shrugged pointing to Jay and I. ‘Thank God’ I blurted. ‘Oi!’ Jay teased in a disappointed tone. ‘Jay you know I love you, just as a brother, not like a boyfriend’ I told him looking for a hug. ‘Huh’ he hushed looking at the ceiling. ‘Oh Jay, I’m sorry’ I whispered mockingly in a baby voice. ‘That’s not good enough’ he teased transferring his eyes to mine momentarily. ‘Babe, if Jay doesn’t want to be your boyfriend, I wouldn’t mind taking over’ Nathan winked pulling me in for an embrace. ‘If I was your boyfriend, never let you go, Keep you on my arm girl, you’d never be alone, I can be a gentleman, anything you want, If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go, I’d never let you go’ he sang softly into my ear. ‘Which reminds me, I want to take you on a date tonight’ he whispered seductively. ‘What do you have in mind?’ I asked. ‘Um, what about….’ He thought for a moment. ‘What about a night snuggled up in bed with a few movies and room service? That is once Jamie is asleep, we can’t forget about her’ he reminded me. Over the last few hours, I was preoccupied and although I don’t want to admit it, I did kind of forget about Jamie, although at the back of my mind I knew she was in safe hands with Siva and Nareesha. I feel like a bad mum. ‘Sure’ I nodded.

‘Here Nareesha, I’ll take Jamie’ I smiled taking her into my hands. ‘Hey baba’ I cooed as her eyes lit up. ‘How’s my baby girl?’ I asked bouncing her on my hip. ‘Hey cutie’ Nathan whispered. ‘Thanks’ I teased winking at him. ‘Well, I wasn’t exactly talking to you, but it does really apply to you babes’ he smiled leaning in for a kiss. I pecked him quickly blinded by numerous flashes. ‘What was that?’ I asked in a hushed tone. ‘Paps’ he sighed shaking his head. ‘Come on babes, let’s go’ he sighed again. He stood inside the glass door looking out at the masses like a priest/vicar looking out on his congregation. ‘Let’s do this’ he whispered. ‘Here.’ He took Jamie into his hands holding her on his hip with his left hand as he held my hand in his right hand. ‘Just ignore the paps, don’t listen to a word they say and hold on to my hand until I say you can let go’ he warned before pushing his way out. ‘Nathan! Nathan over here!’ ‘Is this our mystery new girlfriend?’ ‘Nathan is it true you’re still seeing Dionne?’ ‘Are you two engaged Nathan?’ ‘Who owns the baby?’ another asked. ‘Don’t touch her’ Nath spat as a photographer held me back.