Chapter Nineteen

Raset got up as the ambertails hid in the grass on the opposite side of the clearing. The brambles around the invader grew thicker, but he still kept pushing his way through, showing no signs of stopping. I gave a soft whine and hid in the fire, watching our protective wall in fear. It didn't seem like it would hold up for long.

The man managed to wrestle his way through the thorns and rushed into the clearing. His torn clothes were starting to dye crimson. Where thorns stuck out of his body, grey smoke rose up.

I hesitated at the sight of his stormy, grey eyes that were now glaring at Raset.

"Get away from her, spirit," he threatened, fangs bared. They easily reached his chin, long and needle-like.

The woman wasn't deterred and nocked a flower-tipped arrow. "Stay back, corpse."

"I warned you."

Within a second, he dashed at Raset. The spirit leapt back, but three deep gauges ran along her stomach. She released the arrow. It embedded itself deeply in Thoysal's shoulder, his cry of pain splitting the air.

I whimpered softly. He was just as terrifying as he had been that night. "Stop! Both of you!"

Raset hesitated at my call. Thoysal took his chance and tackled Raset, pinning her beneath him. The bow was thrown out of her reach. The vampire drew his blade and held it against the spirit's neck. She laid completely still, watching him warily, blood seeping down her sides.

This couldn't go on any longer. He'd kill my friend! I charged at Thoysal, headbutting him in the side. Although he didn't even budge, he did look at me, his expression softening.

Raset immediately punched the vampire in the face, a flower on her knuckles. Thoysal hissed in pain, burns revealing where the spirit had hit him. She used his weakness and threw him off of her. Quickly, she stepped between Thoysal and me.

The two stood there, staring each other down. I could almost smell the tension like I could smell the sickening tang of blood. With a small leap, I hopped in the middle, fur as puffed up as can be.

'Stop fighting!' I cried out telepathically before repeating it in a series of barks. I glared at Thoysal. 'You're hurting my friend.'

Thoysal eyed Raset up, blade at hand. "Friend? That?"

"Someone with a heartbeat is more suited to take care of living creatures than you." The spirit sounded more venomous than I ever thought possible. I whimpered softly at her tone. Still eyeing the vampire, she kneeled next to me, murmuring soft apologies and reassurances.

Thoysal bared his fangs as she got closer to me, but didn't attack. Instead, he turned to me. "Explain what happened and how you ended up here."

'Are you still mad I burned things down...?' I asked tentatively. The aggressive glint still hadn't left his eyes, and I didn't dare upset him even more.

He must've been reading my mind, as he sat down and put the blade away, the scary light leaving his gaze. "No, I'm not. Neither are the Alpha or the Ira." With an eye on Raset, he started taking the thorns out of his body. He hissed softly with each tug.

I looked away and started explaining. 'Well, I ran away and slept in a tree. It was a really nice tree, hollow and everything. It'd have been perfect if there hadn't been one entrance and exit. When I woke up and walked out, I went right into a trap some mean werewolves put there.

'They dragged me really far away, not giving me any food or water. They said they'd sell me to be a slave!' I cried out. That one still angered me. Something as majestic as me shouldn't be serving someone else.

Thoysal paused in his thorn-picking to stare at me. The terrifying look had returned in his eyes. "What are their names?"

'They're dead. Raset shot them,' I replied smugly. With a small purr, I gave the spirit a nudge. 'She helped me heal, too. My fur is almost back to what it was.'

A look of appreciation crossed the vampire's features. "I thank you for saving Zanixa. However, this doesn't mean I forgive you for all these burns."

"The scars inside her from this experience may never heal, while your burns will be fine in a few days. Why are you even taking care of her?" Raset asked. She embraced me, and I happily let her.

Thoysal bristled at her tone. I was fairly sure he was regretting thanking her. "No one else would, and I can directly communicate with her through telepathy. On top of that, it was in the middle of winter, and the winter isn't safe for her. Right, Zanixa?"

I rapidly bopped my head up and down, agreeing in hopes it'd get the spirit off his back.

"He's right. Winter is awful, and cold, and wet, and cold, and dark, and miserable," I told Raset with a shudder. It was a good thing it was spring now. Closing my eyes, I took a moment to appreciate the feeling of the warm sun on my back.

"Then why weren't you there when those three rogues took her?" she asked, continuing with her questioning. I looked up at her with a frown. Why was she still seeing him as an enemy?

Thoysal glowered at Raset, his face set in a frown. "I was at the werewolf pack I am part of. There was - and still is - a large chance we'll be overrun any second now by another pack. The Ira kept me as guardian, for when Emio attacks."

"An undead leech such as you, guarding a pack of wolves?" The spirit snickered. "You look like you can only kill, not protect."

Thoysal hissed angrily, fangs bared. "That does it. Let me give you a piece of my mind." The vampire was upon Raset faster than I could see, his hands on her temples.