chapter 25 - New beginnings

Start from the beginning

Its hard at the moment without much internet access at home, I spend whatever free time I have in the library downloading articles and stuff onto my hard drive then reading what I can at home, that and the textbooks.

I'm going to be nose deep in work all weekend.

Simmi sends me stuff if I've missed something but she's been lovey dovely land with this boyfriend of hers."

' You don't like him?"

" I haven't met him, Simmi says he's busy or its too soon or makes up some other half arsed reason.

All I know is that he's a legacy jock.

But I don't like how he's affecting her, she misses class and she's always distracted, she's smoking so much more and I am worried, her parents arn't exactly the type open to a multi racial relationship."

' Hey why were your parents so upset when I asked for their blessings last night?" I said wanting to change the subject, she wore a face full of worry and there was probably more behind her fears.

" you don't know?" she asked puzzled and I shook my head no.

" With Indians, son in laws and the boys family in general are treated like gods, and if they visit the girls home they are usually treated extremely well, their every request fulfilled. Mum must would have been so happy you were there last night, she's probably bragged about it to all her friends and relatives already. Its not common for a daughter and her husband to return home for Diwali, especially the first one after marriage."

' She did that thing to you as we left, that you've done to me, the black thing from the eyes...what does it mean?"

She looked at me puzzled again and then realized what I was talking about.

" ohh, do you mean with the khajal? Its this old superstition that if you wear something black, or have a dot of Khajal it will deter the evil eye, its something to do with 'nazar utarna'. Its something Mum has always done with me and my brother, and I guessed it was something that the Balaji's would appreciate."

" Hey I got you something, I was going to give them to you last night." I walked back to the room and pulled a sleek laptop bag from under the bed and handed it to her.

She opened the bag hesitantly but her face changed instantly when she saw what was inside,

" oh my gosh! Its beautiful! Its this really for me?" she cried out as she pulled out the sleek Macbook Laptop.

" Check the side pocket."

She unzipped the side pocket and pulled out a brand new smart phone.

'These haven even been released on the market yet! Simmi has been raving at how high tech these are and how her brother has got one on pre order! How did you get one?"

It felt good, watching her get excited about something I had bought for her.

' the laptop has the contents of your old laptop installed, and you have unlimited data on your phone, as well as your old number as well as an upgraded memory card. My IT guys have already integrated the contents of your old phone onto the new one and you are also set up wirelessly at home, wifi, printers, security cams - the lot!"

" So no more restrictions from today?" she asked with a puzzled look on her face.

' Yes, no more restrictions, you can come and go as you please, talk to whomever you please, come home whenever you please and even if you want, you don't have to have lunch with me once the Balaji deal is signed off."

'Why? what's the catch?" she asked suspiciously.

'Why? Because you haven't done anything to betray my trust. I gave you a 25k credit card , you could have just gone and bought a new phone laptop and no catch. I am serious about what I said weeks ago, I want to give us a chance, if you will let me, and considering after diwali is considered a new year, a new start, I figured it could be a new start for us as well and that I also need to treat you more fairly.

You also have full clearance at my office at Main street, walk in whenever you want and they will let you into my office no matter what I am doing."

I didn't give her a change to respond, walked to the room and picked up my phone and typed in a quick text message.

Her phone binged beside her and she giggled as she read it.

" Good morning Victoria' it said simply.

"Phillip?" she called out hesitantly.

' Yes?" I said turning to her but before I knew how, she had wrapped her arms around my waist ,her head on my chest.

' Thank you, thank you so much." She whispered before she pulled away and dashed into the bathroom.