Not just you

Peter was adopted by Tony, and is sixteen. He has yet to call Tony 'dad'.

Peter's phone rang in the middle of class.

His teacher, Mr Harrison, fixed him with a stern look. "You know the rules, Peter. Turn the phone off or turn it in."

Peter turned it to silent.

Then it rang again.

The teacher raised his eyebrow. "Off, Peter."

Peter glanced at the screen.

Only one person had the tech to push a call through, and-

Crap.

"Sir, I really need to take this."

Mr Harrison sighed, waving his hand. "Step into the hall, please."

Peter ducked out, placing the phone to his ear. "What happened? Is everything-"

He was cut off by Pepper's frantic voice. "Peter you have to come home now!"

Her voice was hysterical, as if she had been crying nonstop.

Peter froze, ice spreading through his veins. "What happened, Pepper?"

She stumbled over her words, sobs leaking through. "T-Tony, he was- he was on a mission, and he got hit, and Bruce doesn't know how bad it is yet but he says there's a chance he won't remember anything and he might have brain damage-"

Peter cut her off sharply. "Okay. Stay calm, I'm on my way."

He raced out, stopping briefly to tell Morita that it was a family emergency before splitting for the tower.

------------

A distraught Pepper met him at the private entrance.

She was a mess.

Usually she was in a neat skirt and blouse with a jacket.

Now she was in sweatpants and a large tshirt. One of Tony's, no less.

Her eyes were red from crying, and her hair was halfheartedly pulled into some semblance of a bun.

She threw her arms around him, crying softly into his shoulder.

Peter tried not to panic.

Pepper didn't usually panic, so when she panicked, Peter panicked.

"Pepper, please, tell me what happened."

She nodded shakily, taking several deep breaths. "He was- he was on a mission. He was with Natasha. Fury thought it wouldn't take more than them. It was big, Peter. Way bigger than he thought. He got hit by something that hacked Friday, and his suit shut off. He was in the air, so high, and he fell, and he's hurt really badly, and Bruce says he might not wake up for a while, and when he does he might not remember us Peter!"

Peter put his arm around her, guiding her back inside. "I need to see him."

-------------

When he got to the infirmary room he sent Pepper to get a shower and rest, promising to watch over Tony.

The figure in the white hospital bed was still and silent.

It was unnaturally quiet.

Usually either or both of them would fill up the silence with idle banter, but now Peter could only stare numbly at his adoptive father.

"Please, Tony." The plea slipped unbidden from his throat.

"Please. I'm really worried here."