51. Seconds

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

"I didn't know it could be that hard to be the son of the leader," Oliver said quietly.

I took a better look at him. He was sitting right in front of me on the bed, and he seemed really sad about what he'd witnessed in my head. I had no idea how he managed to slip into my memories, even though I knew it was possible for Walkers to do so. I had the feeling that it had something to do with our mate bond. Our spirits were linked on a deep level, and he had no idea how to control his powers yet, so I wasn't mad at him for invading my head.

"I got over it," I said truthfully. "I learned a lot about loyalty and true friendship and how shitty people can be, so whatever."

"So... no one believed you?" he asked carefully. "Not even your parents?"

"No, my parents believed me. The problem was that no one else believed them," I explained. "Some people thought they were just a pair of entitled parents who thought their sweet little angel wouldn't do such things."

"Well that's just bullshit..." Oliver muttered, and I laughed.

"I didn't know you knew how to swear," I said, before taking a deep breath, leaning back against the wall. "Our pack was growing fast during that time. We got a lot of new members – Paul and his mom included – and my parents were trying to make a pack out of us. Back in the day there were tons of rogues and big packs trying to steal territories, so we had a lot of newcomers coming in. Jack's pack was one of them – I heard they got their asses kicked so hard most of the survivors had no will to live anymore... They didn't want to stay with us though, but my father gave them a piece of our land in hopes they would eventually join us."

I took a deep breath, trying to remember details from that time, but then I shook my head. "It was a bad time for all of us... When the rumors about me as a bully started spreading, my parents had to be diplomatic about it so there wouldn't be a civil war or anything among us."

"That's still not right – I saw what it did to you," he said, but I snorted.

"You also saw me gaining those two hemorrhoids because of that," I noted. "Shit happened, but I turned out just fine, nonetheless."

Oliver chuckled at my words. "You have really great friends," he said with a nod.

"The best kind," I muttered in agreement. "To tell you the truth..." I trailed off with a sigh, not knowing if I should speak up my mind or not.

"I'm here to listen," Oliver said like he could hear my thoughts. Maybe he did.

"I don't... I never wanted to be the Alpha. Not after what happened. What's the point? They don't like me, so why would they accept me as their Alpha? I know I probably should've tried harder to be a part of their lives, but... why would I want that? I'm not even suitable to be the Alpha, as I've been so kindly told."