Chapter XXXIII: The Last Night

SONG OF POWER

CHAPTER XXXIII: THE LAST NIGHT

A feast for the assembled nobility and dignitaries was held that night in Cyen. Cipher's own kitchen staff was placed under the supervision of Perdita Drakontos, proprietor of the Maiden's Head, and Willa Heather, Cipher's childhood friend and owner of a tight new Rosy Pucker. Like all important functions in Cyen Keep, the feast was held in the grand hall, which was also the throne room. Cipher's throne loomed ominously behind him from where he was seated at the massive table that used to belong to the Rosy Pucker. It was large enough to fit all of the nobles that dined with the Covey.

Though Cipher was the lord of the holding, he chose not to sit at one of the ends of the table. He centered himself at the table with his wives arrayed about him. At one end of the table he seated his father, Zot, and at the other sat Samson Evers-Cyen's two highest-ranking soldiers were strategically located. Cipher's four knights stood behind him and his wives, ever vigilant. Nobles native to Cyen, including the recently-ranked childhood friends of Cipher, sat on the same side of the table as the Covey. All of the foreign lords sat opposite Cipher. In this way Cipher and those most loyal to him were all together, and the young baronet was able to see the massive double-doors of the great hall as well. This seating strategy was designed by Zot, who had become increasingly cautious since the loss of his sword-arm to Archwizard Belinore during the Midsummer Massacre.

Archwizard Belinore sat beside Vasos Alafin. Directly across from Cipher. Enemies breaking bread together in peace. Cipher's silver eyes betrayed neither anger nor hatred toward his foe; Zot glowered at the powerful cryomancer but kept his peace.

Tyroce had recovered enough from her shock earlier in the day to attend the dinner, but if the snowy-skinned sidhe could pale, she was. She was actually thankful that she sat directly across from Alafin, for the lewd attention he paid her was far more welcome than the easy smile of Belinore. The archwizard was not a refined, cultured man, but it seemed to all in attendance that he was welcome at the table. The subject came up in conversation when the main course was being served.

"Archwizard Belinore," the room tensed as the brutish magic-user was addressed directly for the first time that evening. Lord Coze Magus, head of the Ethereal Cult, spoke. Though the mummy did not require food for sustenance, he attended the feast and partook of each course out of a sense of etiquette. Cipher had the distinct feeling that Magus was the most polished gentleman present, having had centuries to become so. "I am told that it was a horde of goblins loyal to you that made this meal possible, yet we sit here together as friends and raise our goblets to toast the very man whose home they destroyed. Would you elaborate on that for those of us here who are curious, yet too polite to ask?"

"That is a fair question," Belinore said. He took a long sip of his drink before continuing. "I command a vast horde of goblins and their ilk in Northcrown. It is a harsh land that knows much war. Recently we had been attacked along our borders by a new enemy. I wanted to pursue this threat and strike it on its own turf, but my goblins were so used to fighting in the snow they were ill-prepared to fight anywhere else.

"It is no secret that there is an uneasy alliance between myself and the White King. Recently, he allowed me into his borders on condition that I allow a company of his men to set up a small outpost in Northcrown. Having a company of Drakkenavian soldiers along my southern border is good for me because most of the things what threaten my horde would also threaten the White King's men. Soldiers would help keep things in check. In essence, he was offering to help stabilize my southern trade route, a route he used as well in tradin' with me.

"So no shit, there I was moving a tribe of goblins-the Frostbelts-to do some survival training here in Drakkenavia. I was called away to attend an important meeting at of the Council Arcana in Everton, so I turned over control of the horde to Kerpo. Kerpo is both intelligent and capable, you'd almost think he's half-human. Might be, too," Belinore said with a wink. "Anyway, Kerpo got mixed up on where he was supposed to be leading the gobs. Y'see, the White King, long may he reign [Belinore raised his goblet], told us of a ruin not far from here where we could train."