Chpt. 2 :

" . . . But other than my slight cold, it was all pretty fun. I mean, it was closer than we've been in - Aj, are you even listening?"

"I'm sorry, what?" I say, turning my full attention back to my best friend.

Melissa's face fell.

"Have you listened at all?"

"No, sorry, Mel."

"You've been so out of it, I'm kind of worried." Melissa says, frowning.

"No, no, don't be!" I say, shaking my head.

"Then what's up? Are you mad at me for not going to the carnival last weekend?"

"No! That's not it . . . I just . . . "

"Well? Spit it out!"

"Well . . . I met a guy." I mumble, looking down bashfully.

"What!?" She squeals, making everyone look in our direction.

"Shh!" The librarian coo's, glaring at us.

Melissa ignores her looks and throws me her well-known 'Spit it out!' look.

"Details, now!" She scream whispers.

"Okay," I laugh. "His name's Griffin. We met at the carnival and spent the afternoon together, and at the end I gave him my number but . . . "

"But . . . ?"

"I don't think he liked me." I say, hiding my disappointment.

"Whaaatt, whyy?" She pouts.

"He hasn't called me. I gave him my number but I haven't heard from him since the carnival."

"Well . . . Guys do that. They wait a while to make you sweat but don't worry. He'll text you." She smiles reassuringly. "So, tell me what this guy looks like!"

*

*

"Aj?"

I skip out of my room into the kitchen, where my older brother is sitting at the bar.

"What's up, bro?" I ask, taking a seat across from him.

He sighs.

"I've been thinking . . . I think we should rent out the spare bedroom. The rent is due next month and I barely have enough to pay it. Its too much for just the two of us."

"Well . . . I could get a job - "

"That's not an option." Caleb interrupts.

"Why not?! I have my license and school ends at 2:30." I argue.

"Aj, I want you to focus on school. You know how important it is and I don't want to let you blow your focus."

I sigh and nod, knowing that I wouldn't win.

"I talked to a friend of a friend and he's looking for a place. Tomorrow I'll clean out the spare room." He says.

"Alright. So what are you doing tonight?"

"Going to a party . . . Wanna come?" He asks, grinning.

"Of course, because I turned into a party animal overnight." I tease, sarcasm dripping in my tone.

"Come onnn, you need to let loose sometimes, sis."

"I will . . . One day. I'll make a deal with you. If you watch Footloose with me, I'll go to a party with you - not tonight though."