Harry's Secret

(Song: Cringe by Matt Maeson)
Harry's POV
I eventually pull up and wait for Ellie to notice me. She has her head down, though, so she probably doesn't even know I'm here. I text her and tell her and , once she receives the message, she starts walking over to me.

"Hey, Love," I say as Ellie approaches the car. Right when she gets in, I notice her eyes are a little red. I hope she isn't still upset about the whole meeting thing and Kimmy lying like that.

"What's wrong?" I ask, concerned, turning my body toward her.

"Nothing, Dad. Just go home," she says.

"Is it about Kimmy?" I ask, ignoring her demand for me to start driving.

"No, Dad. I said go home. I don't want to talk about it right now," she says, slightly annoyed. She turns her body away to look out the window.

We are going to talk about this later, and she knows it, but I start driving while she remains silent in the passenger seat of the car. I don't know what she is so upset about; the meeting went perfectly for her.

•~~~~~

The ten minute car ride from the school to our house felt much longer due to the silence, but nevertheless, we arrived. Ellie gets out of the car right when it parks and rushes to the front of the house. I get out with a sigh and follow her to the front door. She waits with her arms folded as I unlock the door.

"Ellie, we're going to talk, okay?" I say, holding the door so she will have to respond before she enters the house.

"I don't want to," she huffs.

"That's too bad because that's exactly what we're going to do," I tell her and let her in. She drops her backpack and runs up to her room. I quickly follow her, hoping she doesn't lock her door since I still haven't taken her blade or whatever she used to self harm.

When I arrive at her door it's already locked. "Ellie, let me in, please," I say while knocking lightly on her door.

"No!" She says. It's sounds like she is crying.

"Ellie, come on. Let me in," I say, trying to keep my cool.

"I said no!" She yells again.

"Elizabeth Styles, you open this door right now, or I will knock this damn door down myself," I yell. Clearly, I have lost my cool. It's only because I care so much about Ellie, though. Who knows what she could be doing to herself right now.

"Go away! I'm not even upset," she says.

"Jesus, Ellie, I'm not stupid! Just let me come in and talk to you," I say. Please, please, open the door.

"For the last time, Dad, go away! I don't want to talk to you," she says. The annoyance in her voices is clear, but the sadness is much more noticeable.

"I'm giving you three seconds, and if this door doesn't open, I'm coming in," I tell her.

"Three," I start.

Nothing.

"Two."

Nothing.

"One."

Nothing.

"Ellie, I'm coming in," I say. It's too bad I don't have any keys to the doors inside. I'll have to see if I can get any. I slam both of my fists against the door, before hearing Ellie speak.

"Fine!" She says. I hear the click of the door unlocking, so I grab the door handle and open it.

"Elizabeth!" I yell, walking toward her. "Give me your blades and anything else you used to harm yourself with!"

"Calm down! I wasn't hurting myself," she defends herself.

"And how was I supposed to know that when your door is closed? I know exactly what you were going to do" I say, demanding an answer. She doesn't say anything.

"You know what? I don't even care. Just go get me your blades. I should have done this the minute you told me about your self harm," I say, annoyed.

"Ugh," she angrily says, turning away into the bathroom. A few seconds later she comes out with a small box and tosses it on the bed. "I wasn't going to cut myself," she hisses.

"I know exactly what you were going to do, Ellie. There's no reason to lie," I say with a bold voice.

"Yeah? And how do you know that?" She asks with a breathy laugh at the end.

"Because... because I know you," I start. "And because I know you're exactly like me. And because this is what I would go to," I say, picking up the box with the blade inside. "This is what I went to when I was upset, instead of talking about my problems. It's the worst thing you can do to yourself, Ellie. I know you don't see that, but it's true." My threatening voice was suddenly replaced by a soft, sad one.

Ellie's eyes soften and she speaks in a small voice. "Y-you hurt... yourself?" She asks.

"Yes, Ellie. I'm not proud of it. That's why I don't want you to do it. It may feel like a good idea, but I promise on my life, it's not. Anything is better than harming your own body," I say, sitting down on her bed.

"I'm sorry," she says, walking over to me and sitting down. "I-I didn't know you did that too."

"Don't worry about it. I think it's best if you knew," I say, placing a kiss on the roof of her head. "I want you to know that since I have had experience with this, that you should come to me with any questions you have or if you ever feel like relapsing. I'm always here. I know I say that all the time, but only because I love you and it's true."

"I know, I'm sorry. I promise I'll stop being like this," she mumbles.

"Don't apologize, El. Just talk to me."