•T W E N T Y - S I X•

Alone in her chambers, Céleste peered at the empty parchment she'd set onto her vanity. Sébastien had scampered off to warn Antoine of what they'd figured out, and to confront Emeric before he did anything stupid. Her task was to redact a letter to Prudence.

Her hand shook as she wrote.

Dearest Prudence,

I accept your apology. There is no doubt in my mind you mean every word, and you will forever hold importance in my heart.
I write to warn you of plots in Totresia that may spread into Giroma. Antoine's marriage to Adelaide has been annulled, and she is on her way to you. We believe she will marry your brother, King Romain.
I found your letter cryptic. I know you doubt our King, but he is not his father. We can trust him.

I miss you.
C. Richel

A commotion broke out in the corridor—ladies and noblemen alike had gotten wind of Adelaide's imminent departure, and many were in a rush to watch her leave. How could they stomach the woman's fake sadness and feigned disappointment at her marriage annulment? Céleste couldn't look upon her and refrain from wanting to wrap her hands around her neck and twist—

Adelaide would marry the King of Giroma, and thus, once more, put herself in a position of power, dominating Prudence. Had Romain enabled it? Or did he have no inkling the redheaded monster was on her road to him?

"Poor Prudence," Céleste said, folding the letter. "Does she have any clue her brother still schemes?"

She entrusted her message to her favorite page boy—the one who'd guided her through the basement what felt like ages ago.

"This must not get into anyone's possession," she whispered, as he met her at her door. "Especially not my brother's."

The boy nodded, cheeks reddening. "Of course, Miss."

She approached him, their noses nearly touching. "It can only go to the messenger responsible for delivering mail, and if you must pay him for his silence, do so. His Highness Prince Sébastien will see you compensated for it."

With a squeak of agreement, the page nodded again, then disappeared down the darkened corridor.

Céleste closed her door and fell onto her couch. "Now all I can do is wait."

***

That night, she slept, but not long enough. She hadn't heard from Sébastien or Antoine or her brother, and no news came from the page boy, either.

At the crack of dawn, the next day, she woke with a splitting headache. She stretched and yawned, and didn't need to gape at her reflection to be certain she was a disaster. She felt the bags beneath her eyes and the static forcing her hair to rise from her scalp.