Part 7

The field doctor had doubted the Count would make it through the night when he had first looked upon the deep wound. He simply bandaged it and tried to make the royal as comfortable as possible before rushing off to tend more wounded.

Doctor Hernand was actually surprised to find his patient still breathing when he peeked into the tent at the crack of dawn.

He smiled and said a silent prayer, thanking God, when he saw the reason for the life still in his body.

A young woman seated in a chair, lay in a mop of golden curls on the side of his bed. Though asleep, her hand remained firmly in his.

This must be the silent Angel. Though tales of her beauty had spread through the barracks like wildfire, the doctor did not believe it till just now.

Like a heavenly blessing she had kept her husband's soul from leaving earth.

The horn sounded, and chaos errupted as sleeping soldiers scrambled to their posts.

The Lithuanians were attacking again!

An older man in groomsmen attire was sleeping against a pole in the inside if the tent.

Fearing for the Countessas safety, he rushed inside and shook the man awake.

"We are under siege, you must take your mistress away from here!"

The girls eyes slowly blinked awake.

"Your Grace, we must go!" Bernard announced, jumping to his feat.

She reached out her hands and motioned to the wounded man on the cot. As if trying to say: "What about him?!?"

"Don't worry dear lady, I will have him sent home as soon as he is well enough to survive the journey." The physician reassured, quite moved by the New bride's devotion.

Quickly Bernard saddled the steeds and lifted Anjelica on to hers.

Off they road, the sound of battle behind them.

When they returned home, the servants gathered around them in the courtyard, anxious for news of their beloved Master.