26. The Cullens

26. The Cullens

            The next morning I woke by a clap of thunder. I bolted upright slightly dazed and groggy clutching my stomach. I was slightly hungry but there was also another stab as reality attempted to break through the fuzziness. Thunder rolled again as rain pelted against the window and I glanced over a broken image of Mike’s face appearing in my field of vision. I forced my eyes closed once again trying to block out his face and his screaming voice. The nightmares I always seemed to have evaded me just last night, the first time in weeks, and I felt more rested than ever before.

“Sleep better?” my eyes opened once again to see Edward rocking in my chair. “I had to leave for a couple of hours while you were sleeping, and when I returned you were sleeping peacefully that I couldn’t wake you.” He said.

I couldn’t help but smile sliding from my bed, “What about Charlie?” I asked him. “The rain is due to stop. He went into the station for a few hours until after the rain. Apparently he’s going over to the reservation.” He answered.

I nodded walking to the window to see the drenched ground. Charlie was going to tell Billy and Jacob everything that happened here. Turning around I looked at Edward before shaking my head causing him to raise an eyebrow, “You’re normally not this confused.” I shrugged, “Blame it on the pregnancy hormones.” Despite everything Edward had done for me yesterday and in the past month, I wasn’t sure where that left us. Last night had been amazing, the best night of my life, but it could easily be platonic despite my obvious liking toward him.

“I need some breakfast. Does your family know that I’m coming over today?” I asked attempting to make it nonchalant.  “I said something to them about it. Rose wasn’t very happy about it but I’m thinking once you get over there she may warm up to your presence.” He said standing up. I grabbed my robe as he came over tying the rope in front before walking behind me down the stairs. I clutched the railing as my stomach grumbled causing Edward to chuckle and my cheeks to flame.

Downstairs was dark as the rain continued. “What’s for breakfast?” he asked sitting at the table. He seemed to move around with ease no nerves in his stance at all anymore. Maybe we had finally crossed a boundary last night and it eased him out. “I fend for myself pretty well. Watch me hunt.” I found a bowl in the drain rack and a box of cereal. I knew I should probably eat more but there was the chance of morning sickness. The last thing I wanted to do was to get to the Cullen house and puke all over their nice expensive furniture. If Edward’s clothes were any indication, they had plenty of money.

After a few minutes of me eating in silence with spoonfuls of cereal, that I finally broke it by speaking. “I know we talked about this last night, but since I am metaphorically speaking about to walk into the lion’s den, shouldn’t I have a bit more information.” I stated hoping to resume our conversation last night.

He turned to me with a blank expression. He seemed to stare into my eyes as if he could see my soul or something equally as deep. It seemed like a century had past when he finally moved relented in a way. “What do you want to know?”

“Well, some more about your family. I just want to know more about them. Carlisle changed you, I guess to give you life again, but I’m not sure. What was the reason?” I asked.

“He acted from loneliness. That’s usually the reason behind the choice. I was the first in Carlisle’s family, though he found Esme soon after. She fell from a cliff. They brought her straight to the hospital morgue, though, somehow, her heart was still beating.” He said. “So you must be dying, then, to become…” I couldn’t really say the world, too afraid he might get upset. I didn’t fear Edward because he could have easily killed me yesterday. He would not hurt me out of anger like Mike had done for so long.