24. saved by a ghost

     AS OCTOBER ARRIVED, HARPER FINALLY found herself being able to write a reply to Sirius Black

AS OCTOBER ARRIVED, HARPER FINALLY found herself being able to write a reply to Sirius Black. She didn't know whether he was telling the truth or not, but something inside of her told her there was more going on than she initially thought. When she looked at the photos in the photo book, it was clear that he loved her father. They were inseparable, just like you'd expect from brothers.

Dipping her quill into the ink, Harper started writing.

Sirius,

Thank you for your reply. Harry and I are good. We're happy to be at Hogwarts once more.

Hogwarts is okay, though we have an imbecile as teacher. Maybe you've heard of him? Gilderoy Lockhart? World's fakest man? As you can probably read, I'm not very fond of the man himself.

Anyway, you probably don't know but Harry and I are on the Gryffindor Quidditch Team! We got in on our first year after first flying lesson. We are the youngest players in the century! I'm not boosting around, I swear.

Now, to get to the point. Why did Peter do it? I mean, wasn't he a friend of you?

Stay well.

Harper

She then reread her letter, not wanting to give away too much personal stuff, and put it in an envelope. Tying it to Dale's leg, she said, "This one's for Sirius Black, buddy."

• ✧ •

     OLIVER'S ENTHUSIASM FOR REGULAR training sessions was not dampened, which is why Harper and Harry were to be found one stormy Saturday afternoon a few days before Halloween, returning to Gryffindor Tower, drenched to the skin and splattered with mud.

Even aside from the rain and wind it hadn't been a happy practice session. Fred and George, who had been spying on the Slytherin team, had seen for themselves the speed of this new Nimbus Two Thousand and Ones. They reported that the Slytherin team were no more than seven greenish blurs, shooting through the air like jump-jets.