16: Familiar Stranger P2

_______________________________________

"Alexis, please talk to me." Gabriel begged in a soft whisper.

He continued wiping the disinfectant on my neck. I'd managed to step into the shower and stand there until the blood had washed off my neck. It was way past two-thirty in the morning now.

My body was numb. I was in pain. My hands were still slightly shaking. And now I couldn't bring myself to speak.

I'd thrown on a t-shirt and shorts. I hadn't even bothered to acknowledge Gabriel except when he hugged me. My neck was turning purple and I knew my eyes and facial expression were completely blank.

The pain of the stranger biting me kept playing over and over again in my head. The message he conveyed to me kept repeating itself. Everything in my life was going to get harder, he said. More painful. More... Emotional.

Life right now was hard as it was, was it even possible for it to get worse?

My defences were down and Gabriel knew it but he refused to take any information from me. He wanted me to tell him.

He stood from my bed and threw the bloody pieces of cloth in the trash. I sat there staring a particular spot on the bed unable to even watch him.

Gabriel sat in front of me and took my hands in his. "Look at me."

I did as he said and wished I didn't. His blue eyes held worry, guilt and pain.

Gabe means everything to me. And I didn't like the fact that I was causing him pain.

"Please," He begged. "Please just talk. Say anything. Say my name, say your name just say something."

'I feel guilty enough as it is...' I heard. His thoughts were filled with pure guilt. But there wasn't any reason for him to feel guilty. It wasn't his fault.

"You shouldn't feel guilty." I whispered.

His jaw ticked signalling his growing anger. "I should have been there. That man shouldn't have been able to have gotten that close. That fear I felt from you when you walked in your bedroom door was..." He sighed. "Alarming; the feeling was horrible."

I shook my head and winced. "You can't follow me everywhere I go."

"I'm going to have to if this is how you come home."

"I can take care of myself-"

He interrupted me. "You obviously can't. Otherwise this wouldn't of happened."

I looked down at our hands. "You're saying it like it's my fault." I mumbled.

He sighed. "You shouldn't have been by yourself."

"I wasn't."

"Then whoever you were with could've at least seen what happened."

"No, he went to get the car. I tried running inside but I was still too slow."

He stroked a finger over my hand with the rash.

"What happened?" He breathed.

I showed him everything that happened. Starting at when he grabbed me right to when the headlights appeared around the corner of the street. Gabriel listened and watched intently. That's when I realised that both I and the man were speaking a completely different language. It sounded different when listening to it.

I also realised Gabriel could understand everything we were saying. His facial expressions told me he could. Once it was finished, he stared at me.

I shut my eyes and concentrated on my new found tongue. "You can understand me then?" I asked him in the alien language.