Chapter 6: Abigail

Edmund Singleton sat in the uncomfortable aluminum chair that was in the center of the sterile interrogation room

Abigail stared at him through the one-way mirror that was standard for interrogation rooms. She studied him. His wife was missing and he just sat there, twiddling his thumbs. Abigail could practically smell his cologne through the wall.

Edmund was young and despite being a well known real estate agent in Ridgemont, he looked like an unkempt computer programmer. He had the roll-out-of-bed look going for him, with scruff on his face that probably took him a few days to grow. Abigail had read his file. Singleton Realty was the biggest name in this small town's market. You could find Edmund's face on benches and for sale signs across the city. He moved here six years ago to start his business, coming from Los Angeles where the market was presumably too saturated for him. He married his wife, Jennifer, in Ridgemont and they stayed together for six years.

Abigail burst through the wooden door and slammed it behind her. Edmund looked up with a jolt.

"Why am I here?" Edmund asked.

Abigail took a seat behind him. She held a manila folder in one hand and flipped it open with ease. Inside, were the divorce papers that she had found at Jennifer Singleton's home. The crime scene.

She slid the divorce papers to Edmund's side of the table and let him look at them. He glanced up at her, his eyebrows cocked, unsure what she was getting at.

"You were getting divorced?" Abigail questioned.

"We were in the process of getting divorced," Edmund stated. There was a sternness in his voice like a man who no longer wanted a car he foolishly purchased.

He continued, "Everything was signed, she was supposed to deliver it to the attorney yesterday."

"When was the last time you saw her?" Abigail asked, getting to the point. She was trying to draw him, get him to admit that there was a problem at home and he was angry and violent enough to have killed his wife. She was taunting him, and he was falling for it.

"Two or three weeks ago, she had her sister bring over the paperwork, can you believe that bitch?"

There it was. She was pushing him to see if he would react to the paperwork, to the name, to the divorce. She wanted to see the anger that Jennifer saw the night that he killed her. Abigail didn't jump to conclusions often but something about this guy felt off, his demeanor, his lack of empathy.

"Were you upset with her?" Abigail pushed further. She stood up to look down at him, his neck stretching to meet her glance.

"She was leaving me, so yeah, I was kind of pissed off," Edmund explained.

"Pissed off enough to hit her?" Abigail pushed her chair in and leaned against the table, her elbows bent as she whispered, "Maybe even kill her?"

Edmund's eyes went wide, he shook his head fervently no. "No, of course not. Has something happened to Jen?"