Chapter 14

Cameron's parents never came home, and I never went home.

A suede recliner had never felt so comfortable. Despite Cameron's chivalrous offer to let me sleep in his bed while he slept on the couch, I said no because sleeping in his bed felt a bit too personal.

He acquainted their absence to responsibility, saying that when they were at social events and had a little too much to drink, they stayed in a hotel. I got the sinking feeling that their nights out were more frequent than he cared to let me know.

Riley was less than thrilled to go do her community service this morning, but when she left with her friends mom, Cameron was more than eager to get the ball rolling.

"I texted Stace." There's an absent dialogue between us as he grabs three bottles of water from the fridge. "She's on her way."

Stace?

Texted?

I shouldn't be--

--jealous.

But god I am.

The hell for though?

Cause he's not mine

And I'm not his

I've somehow convinced myself to erase the nanosecond kiss, but that doesn't mean I can forget Cameron.

Cause he's always there.

I text him 24/7, and he texts me back every time.

Now that's dedication.

"Cool?"

He breaks my thoughts with a raised eyebrow. But I still can't keep my focus because all I'm really looking at is his boyishly charm, and how I wish I had met him freshmen year instead of Dean. Maybe he'd have been more careful with me.

"Karma?"

"Cool." I finally say.

*********

I'm about as thrilled to meet with Stacy as Riley is to be picking up trash along the highway this morning.

"What do you have?" I ask. "Anything good?"

"More like gold." She smiles with a hint of an evil laugh. "So my dad's a lawyer, and--"

She must notice mine and Cameron's liberated looks because she elaborates. "Not like OJ Simpson lawyer. Think along the lines of a kid stealing a few things from a convenience store, and then getting a state appointed lawyer. I.E. my dad."

"Anyways, I may have used some of his resources to find out about Steph." No. God no. Two things wrong here.

One: Her name is Stephanie. Steph is for people that have her best interests in mind. It's a name for friends to use.

Two: If she knows everything is screwed. Peoples lives. Peoples sanity.

"Like, there were a few things I couldn't quite look into. Extra confidential, you know? But I still got gold nonetheless."