Volume Two | Prologue 1.1

MADELINE

Madeline shivered, as she wandered through the hallways

Madeline shivered, as she wandered through the hallways. She walked barefoot, perhaps a bad idea in retrospect, but she'd wanted to make the least amount of noise possible.

Stepping silently into the foyer, she cringed as the doors swung open, creaking eerily in the otherwise silent castle. She smiled, nonetheless, at the person who stood on the other side,

'Welcome," she whispered, gesturing the person in the doors. She'd waited a long time for their arrival, and the news they bore with them.

As the person stumbled through the threshold, Madeline steadied them. Concern filtering through her façade of serenity. Their eyes wandered around the room, resting repeatedly on the figures Madeline knew surrounded her.

"Is it true," she prompted, gaining their attention.

"Is what she said true?" She struggled to remain impassive. If they confirmed this, it would change all she'd recently learnt of her existence.

"Yes," they whispered. Voice harsh against the castles silence. Madeline held back a sob, stepping away from the person, sagging against the cold-stone wall. As her guards fell, she heard them again. The voices surrounding her, permeating her mind and soul. Controlling her, spiraling her from the thin grasp she held on sanity.

She felt the dead, as they clung to the little existence she could offer them.

Help us. They screamed.

Help us. Free us. Save us from the desolate pain.

As the man who crouched before her, pulled her gently to her feet she cringed. At the pain, and the cold she finally felt. At the words, and the wisdom which wrapped around her so tightly, she struggled to breathe.

"Madeline!" His roar echoed through the chambers of the house, and she gained enough wits to step away from the man, shielding him from the concern and inevitable anger of her mate.

As he rushed down the staircase, wrapping his arms around her, she sighed. It disappeared in that moment, the pain. Replaced instead by the calm only a mate could offer. A temporary calm, she'd found out in the past months.

"Who," he hissed, steeping back slightly still maintaining contact, "Is that?"

She turned in his grip, holding the arm that gently wrapped around her. Taking a breath, she explained it all to him. Every last detail.