Chapter 41

WARNING: Sexual content below, not explicit but still inappropriate for those under 16 ish.

Sometimes Shay felt like she was in middle school again. She imagined herself picking a common chickweed from the grass and plucking off the pedals, muttering 'he loves me, he loves me not' until only the center remained. That's how it was with Noah. Some days, he gave her the impression that she was the only one he wanted while other days, he wanted nothing to do with her. Plucking off each of her pedals until eventually, she'd be left frustrated and bare.

She was damn sick of it.

After planning out what bars they'd go to tonight, Shay went back to her bedroom to get ready. With angry rap music playing on her phone, she dolled herself up like she did when trying to pick her next target. It was almost like she was the blue-eyed bandit again, on the hunt for her next handsome and wealthy conquest.

She had gotten the idea to rob them after a one night stand a year after leaving the mansion, after she realized just how bored she was. It wasn't until then that she remembered how much she craved danger in her life. That was what she grew up with, and not having it was like not having food. She could survive for a little while but eventually, she might wither away to nothing.

By eight o'clock, her face looked flawless and her dress was zipped onto her body. It was bright red and full of lace, with long sleeves, a keyhole neckline, and a skirt that was short but flowed out. She had curled her hair and secured half of it up with bobby pins while the rest hung loosely behind her. Satisfied with her appearance, she stepped out of her bedroom and into the kitchen where everyone was sitting at the table.

All three of them had been busy finishing up looking over the victims' photographs when she entered the room, the documents spread across the grey table as they discussed commonalities. Noah noticed her first. His eyes moved slowly to take her all in, starting from her long legs and moving all the way up, the heat of his gaze causing her to blush. He'd never seen her dress up before. Not before she left and not after, either. She wondered if she looked like a different person to him.

"Wow." Summer was the first to break the silence that had enveloped the room. She also looked gorgeous in her black tight fitting dress and straightened dark hair, but she wasn't meant to stand out like Shay was. The three of them had to work in the shadows while Shay stayed in the spotlight, an idea that still made her nervous.

"You look hot." Jon complimented her, earning him a harsh glare from Noah. He was quick to focus back on her though and when he did, she felt every one of his fantasies through just his eyes alone. Just like that, the flower of indecision was left with just one pedal, one that told her he loved her.

Or at least liked her, a lot.

"Let's do this."

The first bar they chose was close to the apartment, which Shay was grateful for as she walked along the street in stilettos and a trench coat to shield her from the cold. The four of them went in together but split up soon after. Every report had said that the victims had gone in with a guy and left with the killer, making Shay think of an Edward vs. Jacob type scenario. Which meant that Noah, who was at the bar ordering drinks, had been assigned to be herJacob for the night. She sat on a barstool at one of the many high tops scattered within the place, her legs crossed as she waited for the rum and coke she had requested.

"Here you go." Noah said as he placed the glass in front of her. She took a long sip from the black straw, feeling the warmth as it ran from her chest to her cheeks. "Careful. We're not here for fun."

Shay looked at him impatiently. "I know."

Putting his hands up defensively, he took a small sip of his own. "Sorry."