{Chapter 16: Destination}

I've gotten used to it.

Well, what can I say? It's been three long years since we moved to Paris, but it still feels like yesterday. Some of it, though. That whole summer I was eager to really learn the language, so school won't be so hard. Surprisingly, it wasn't as difficult as I thought, but sometimes my new friends still laugh at me for misusing some words.

I also graduated senior high school as Top 1. And I have to admit, school and interning is SO. FREAKING. HARD. I needed to balance everything! I've got homework and office stuffs needed to be done every day, I have to send files, organize e-mails, and a whole lot more. But seeing that it's my third summer in Paris, I thought my work will be much easier. I was so wrong.

"Yes, Ms. Chae?" I open up the door to her office. She called me on the phone earlier, saying that I have an important job. She turns in her chair, with her phone stuck between her right ear and shoulder.

"Can you get these delivered to Charlotte?" She asks, handing me a heavy paper bag. "These are the sample copies for our next issue, and those need to be checked immediately. I need you to hand those to her personally."

"But..." I hesitate, yet end up holding the paper bag in my arms. "Isn't Ms. Charlotte on the... other side of town?"

She talks on the phone, ignoring my question for quite a while. She turns to me, covering the phone with her hand. "Just take it, darling. I have so much to do."

With the paper bag in hand, I struggle to pull out the keys of my car from my pocket. I press the key and the car unlocks with a small beep beep. I secure the files in the passenger seat, and I look around, hesitating whether or not to put the seat belt around it. I still did it. It won't hurt to be a little extra careful.

I adjust the rearview mirror and start the car. As I back up the driveway, I instantly conclude: This is going to be a boring ride. I reach the main road and my car halts to a stop. I roll down my window only to look at the loooong trail of cars. On a normal day, a trip to the place will already take an hour, but with traffic like this? I'm betting two or three at the least.

I slump back into my seat with a frustrated sigh. I look at the small screen on the car and pressed scan. The radio blasts out music once it finds a signal. That's strange, though. I have no idea that they play K-Pop around here.

I recognize a few songs, like I Got A Boy by Girls' Generation, Growl by EXO, and a few other songs by bands that goes way, waaay back. And of course, the radio plays some that are unfamiliar. I really like the one with Boombayah or something. They must be new. Ugh, I really don't have enough time left for K-Pop. I feel like I'm losing my nationality, somehow. I laugh mentally.

The radio plays the next song. "Geoul sogeseo nareul meonghani boneun neon, naega anya (yah, yah, yah)." Oh, I like this one. The tune is really catchy. I wonder what the title is. I turn the volume, listening to the song. I nearly forget I'm driving. 

The driver behind me honks, and I realize the traffic is already clearing up. All because I'm so immersed in these songs. I giggle to myself, remembering my memories until a wave of nostalgia hits me. Gosh, how I miss South Korea.

After two and a half hours that consisted of nothing but K-Pop and endless roads that seem to go on and on, I finally arrive at Charlotte's house. Her eyes widen when I find her sitting on her porch. She greets me with a surprised smile.

"What brings you here?" She asks.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. I hand her the paper bag. "Ms. Chae told me these copies needed to be checked...?"

"What?" She laughs. "These aren't even due until next week, but thanks. You know you could've just mailed them to me."

Something's off. Then why did Ms. Chae tell me to deliver these if they aren't even needed yet? I mutter a small goodbye to Charlotte and I head to my car. I dial Ms. Chae's number, but she doesn't pick up. What's going on? I start my car and ready myself for another long drive.

This time however, I don't turn on the radio or play any music at all. My mind is too preoccupied to even think about anything else but Ms. Chae's strange order. I look at the time. It's five in the afternoon, which means I'll get to office by seven if I drive fast enough. Fast but careful, of course.

I reach the office at about eight-thirty, and weirdly enough, all the lights are out. I turn my back. It makes me think that they've all gone home, but there's one light at the top of the building that catches my attention. It's Ms. Chae's office. She's still here.

I press the button for the 11th floor. It's an agonizing wait to the top. The elevator dings, and opens. Strange. Suddenly all the lights are closed. I get out of the elevator, with my arms spread out. I reach for the wall and then I feel the light switch. I flick it open.

"SURPRISE!"

Confetti bursts out of the party poppers, showering down my head. I place my hand across my chest. If I had a heart disease or asthma, I'd be dead by now. My eyes took a few moments to adjust to the light. Then I saw everything... The banner, the garlands, the cake...

"It's my birthday!" I gasp, just realizing. My friends and officemates laugh. "It's my 19th birthday!"

"I'm sorry for making you drive for six hours, but we needed all the time we could get to prepare for this surprise." Ms. Chae speaks up, guilt showing across her face. Suddenly, all the confusion and frustration is lifted off my chest. "But that's not all."

Everyone gathers around me. Ms. Chae gives me a tight hug. "For the past three years, you've done so much for SoKor Classics. How would you like... a real job?"

"Me? A-A real designer..." I stutter. Am I dreaming or is this real? Ms. Chae nods furiously. I think she's more excited than I am. "Yes! Yes, of course, but..."

"School?" Ms. Chae clarifies. "Don't worry about it. We can ask the university of your choice to minimize your attendance to two to three days a week and to make all exams in take-home forms."

I'm speechless. My mouth opens, but no words come out. Ms. Chae winks. "We're SoKor Classics, honey. We can do anything."

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I jump. Everyone laughs. This is the best day of my life! Then, Ms. Chae speaks up, silencing everyone.

"How would you like to start your first job tomorrow?" She grins. "You already have a client."

"Of course! I'll never pass up an opportunity. Where?"

Ms. Chae squeals. "Pack your bags, 'cause we're off to Seoul, South Korea!"