10 (January 27th, 1976)

ROGER'S POV

It was the 27th of January and we were about to take off to North America!
It was very exciting to all of us, as it would only be our second time to leave Europe as a band - and our first time to be the main attraction. We had been on a tour in America two years ago, when we were still doing support acts for Mott the Hoople back then.
Of course, the boys from Mott the Hoople were nothing compared to us, as we stole their show on every single concert - they were not to blame, though. However, I couldn't decline that they were nice lads, they had given us a strong push towards the right direction after all.

Our manager, Jim Beach, or, how Freddie preferred to call him: Miami Beach - which was a way cooler name in my opinion, no matter how much Brian complained at us being childish - had even managed to book us first class tickets which were not too expensive and manageable for our budget.

The plane was a great machine - huge and majestic - just right for Queen to fly in it.
Our luggage had been stored with all the other stuff somewhere, I didn't know where. However, my favourite drumsticks went with me as I really didn't want to lose them before our first gig.
They were kind of my lucky charm - just to start off right.

BRIAN'S POV

I was not looking forward to start our U.S. tour but maybe being stuck together for such a long time would be good for the band as things weren't really right between us.
Besides the obvious issue we all had with Paul and Freddie, who was slowly sinking into Paul's drastic lifestyle, there were also quite harsh feelings between Roger and John, still. Well, it was just Roger's temper and stubbornness that didn't want to forgive John for the mistakes he had made but it was uncomfortable being near them. All of them.
I felt trapped.

Despite the tense mood between all of us, the plane ride was quite okay, as we were concentrated on playing Scrabble instead of being defeated by arguments and hatred.
I really wanted to thank Alfred Mosher Butts in that moment as in my eyes he was much more than an architect - he was a peacemaker. A pacifier for those horrible children which I called my bandmates.

--

In the early afternoon we arrived in Waterbury, Connecticut, on the Eastside of the States. It was a small place with only about 100,000 inhabitants which made it seem calm and subtle. However, our gig for tonight was sold out fully, which had surprised all of us.

There we were; far away from home for a long, long time.
We had left our families and friends behind to see the world as a band and as best friends together and it was new and exciting. - A whole different continent with a foreign culture and foreign people.
But I couldn't really waste too many thoughts on this stirring realization, no matter how much I tried, as there was something else on my mind.

One thing I couldn't stop thinking about since we had met to take off was Roger's behaviour towards me;
it was very unusual for him to be cold and ignoring but that was exactly the way he had been acting towards me.
Maybe it was because of John - Maybe Roger didn't want to trigger him.
Then again, Roger would do exactly that, just to tease him.

I could say that I was confused but I didn't want to appear clingy, especially since I was the one who wasn't really into showing our relationship to the world.

John wasn't really triggered, anyways. Well, I didn't really know if he was, but he never seemed like it. Maybe Roger knew more than I did.

JOHN'S POV

My first impression of America after such a long time was a good one but it would probably not leave a good memory inside my mind, as I didn't really want to be here.
I felt horrible about the whole situation with Roger and I was really sorry but I couldn't tell him as I was way too shy to talk it out with him.
I felt that he was still mad at me at the way he was acting towards me; he was avoiding me, his gazes were conceited and he didn't really talk much anymore.

I knew I had to do something but to decide on what to do I wanted to talk to Freddie again.
He was always so good at giving advice. Well, he had been.
He had changed quite a bit this month.
Maybe it was his new year's resolution to become a douchebag?
I blamed Paul for it, as everyone else did, but that wouldn't help Freddie in the slightest.
So, asking him for advise wouldn't be the only thing I was about to do tonight after the show.
I wanted to talk to him as that strange feeling wouldn't leave my chest;
I was scared that something would happen to Freddie because of his 'I-don't-give-a-damn' attitude.
Something horrible.