Part Nine

The front door was swinging back and forth as I jogged up the porch steps. I hadn't closed it behind me when I ran out this morning. There was snow covering the entrance, mostly melted the further I walked in. Maddie jumped from my arms onto the stool. I closed the door, leaving the chaos behind me.

The smell of rotting flesh permeated every inch of the kitchen. Although I had thrown the rotting venison deep in the forest, the scent remained. Maddie jumped onto the counter, leaning over the sink. She sniffed for the breakfast I had taken away and howled at me in protest. 

The house, although whining in protest against the storm, seemed quiet and calm. Completely different from this morning. Ignoring the smell for the moment, I made my way to the back of the cabin. To my bedroom. Peeking in, my gaze fell on the window from earlier. There was no hole. The screen shifted under the pressure of the wind, completely normal.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

My hands reached to hold my arms closer to my chest. Turning toward the dresser mirror, he was looking at me with concern. But it wasn't him. He was naked, his body blue as ice, beard covered in icicles. My eyes squeezed shut, willing the image to go away.

"You're not here," I said firmly.

Meow.

Maddie entwined herself between my feet, bringing me back to reality. When my eyes opened again, only my reflection stared back at me. Sighing, I glanced back at the window. Everything was fine. Nothing was wrong. Maddie was here.

Slowly, I began to pull each piece of clothing off one by one. First my boots that had begun to track mud through the cabin, staining my bedroom carpet. Then my socks, jacket, pants, long underwear, and finally the last pieces of underwear. 

Staring into the mirror, I realized the damage the accident had caused. There were bruised along my neck and shoulders. My arms were even slightly purple. Though there was no cut on my temple, there was a yellowish bruise forming. 

Goosebumps trailed my arms and legs. The heater in the shed was not enough to warm me up. The chill of the storm and my fear had overtaken my body completely. But I couldn't move. I was afraid to. At any point, someone would call to me. Either of them. The goat or the eagle. They would come for me.

Meow.

Maddie's paws pressed onto the side of my shin as she reached for me. Bending down, I caressed the back of her ears, thankful for her affection. Picking her up, I carried her into the living room. She continued to purr and rub her head against mine, only stopping when I scratched her neck.

Sitting on the end table next to the brown love-seat was the answering machine. A red light continually blinked, indicating a message. Shifting Maddie onto one arm, I pressed the button.

"You have three messages."

Beep.

"Hello, I'm calling for a Lily Rhagard. Your husband hasn't been to work for the last two weeks and we are inquiring about his well-being. Please have him reach out. We will continue to call his cell in the hopes he'll answer. Our prayers are with you and your family."

Beep.

"Hey Leuy, it's Rick. Call me back and let me know if you and Evan are still planning on coming on the hunting trip to Idaho. Bring that beautiful wife of yours! Hell of a shot! Anyway, call me back."

Beep.

"Leuy, it's Darren. Let me know if that old pick up is still for sale. I think I'm ready to talk numbers with you! Call me back!"