O N E

Evelyn woke up on the morning of her eighteenth birthday feeling different. Unsure of what the feeling was, she brushed it off as just being hungry after not eating dinner last night.

Getting out of bed, she ran a hand through her hair before throwing it up into a ponytail.

"Another birthday spent alone," Evelyn mumbled to herself, sighing.

Making her way downstairs, she pulled open the fridge door and looked for something to eat. Not finding anything, she shut the fridge and headed to the pantry.

"Please let there be something good in here," Evelyn mumbled. "I can't eat fruit for breakfast again."

Opening the pantry doors, Evelyn scanned the shelves until her eyes landed on the box of unopened strawberry pop-tarts.

"Oh thank Goddess. Something I can actually enjoy eating."

Grabbing the box, Evelyn made her way to the toaster before popping in two pop-tarts from one of the newly opened packages. Once her pop-tarts were done she put them on a plate and settled herself in the living room on the sofa.

Turning on the tv, Evelyn settled on a channel that was playing a Friends marathon.

- • -

Evelyn woke up startled after the dream she just had. Looking around, she realized it was now a little after lunch time. Groaning, she laid back and shut the tv off. Her phone started to ring a second later.

"Hello?"

"Evelyn, darling."

"Hello mother."

"How have you been? Doing well?"

"Yes mother."

"Wonderful! You haven't gone anywhere have you?"

"No mother."

"Good girl."

Rolling her eyes, Evelyn could hear her fathers voice in the background, mumbling something about it being her birthday.

"Oh, yes, that's right," her mother said. "Happy eighteenth birthday dear."

Evelyn sighed. "Thank you, mother."

"Of course, darling. Well, I have to go now. Your father and I are going sightseeing."

"I thought you were on a business trip?"

"Oh- that's right. Um yes, we have a free day today."

"Goodbye mother."

"Don't leave the house Evelyn! Especially today, it's a full moon tonight."

Evelyn hung up, not bothering to respond to her mother's silly antics. She was always telling her stories about werewolves and how they were vicious creatures.

Evelyn didn't believe any of it. Even if werewolves were real, she didn't think they'd be vicious.

- • -

Come nightfall, Evelyn was downright bored. She had already watched all the shows that were recorded on the DVR and had already cleaned up around the house.

Checking her phone, Evelyn realized her best friend Ivy should be getting home soon. The girl had been away on vacation with her family and was coming back tonight. And soon enough, just as Evelyn thought it would, a text popped up on her screen.

ivy
eve! i'm back!!
any chance you wanna come over?
we can eat ice cream and watch movies!
oh! and i have your present!

Evelyn laughed at the texts from her best friend. Ivy was a fairly energetic girl and it even showed through her messages.

evelyn
you know my parents won't allow me to leave the house. is there any chance you could come over here?

ivy
i would but my mom doesn't want me going out tonight. it's a full moon.

evelyn
Goddess our moms are the exact same
except yours actually lets you go out when it's not a full moon

ivy
i'm sorry eve
i could come over tomorrow?

evelyn
no
y'know what, i don't care anymore
i'm eighteen now i can make my own choices
i'll be over in five

ivy
five? it takes ten to walk over here

evelyn
not if i take the trail

ivy
eve don't be stupid
it's dark out
don't go through the forest

evelyn
already on my way

ivy
fine
be safe, okay?
if you're not here in five i'm coming to find you

evelyn
i wouldn't expect anything less
see you in five

Evelyn slipped on her pair of converse before grabbing the keys to the house. Taking a deep breath she opened the door and then shut it behind her, locking it in the process.

Putting the key into the pocket of her jeans and phone in hand, Evelyn made her way to the fairly-lit forest trail.