Chapter Eleven: Aces Up Sleeves

A/n: Chapter graphic to the side.

CHAPTER ELEVEN: ACES UP SLEEVES

The Strand Accounting was located in a building that towered far above the London skyline, made entirely of smoky glass, and a frame comprised of thin steel bars. The soft icy greys oozed the highest elegance. The steady stream of men and women wearing the finest tailored suits entering and leaving the building assured the trio that The Strand Accounting was not lacking in customers.

Amelia adjusted the position of her crimson briefcase as she eyed the building. In her crisp black suit, and her sleek ponytail, she blended in with the other people, but, somehow, she exuded a confidence that the people passing by could not. John, and Sherlock, had never looked more out of place. Sherlock had changed his shirt after Amelia had forced him to, not accepting his blood-splattered button down as acceptable attire, although the wrinkled purple dress shirt he wore now wasn't much better. John marvelled at his surroundings, unable to believe the new world he'd found himself in.

"Is this what your regular work day looks like?" he asked Amelia. She towered over him in her red-backed black heels, and John had to crane his neck to look at her.

"Sometimes." she admitted. "Usually I have a warrant, and several security guards. Sometimes things go...south." She smiled at him. "For all intents and purposes-you two are my guards." She pursed her now-red lips, the exact shade as her bag, and started towards the door. "Play along." The crowd seemed to part for her, the clicking of her heels announcing her arrival. She stopped before the front desk, leaning against the counter.

The secretary looked up, blonde hair falling across her face. "Welcome to the Strand Accounting. Do you...do you have an appointment?"

"Is Charlotte Holmes in?"

"Do you have an appointment?"

Amelia took out her badge and showed it to her. "I need to see her."

The woman eyed it coolly. "Do you have a warrant?" When Amelia didn't answer, she smiled. "I'm sorry, but Ms Holmes is busy. Come back with a warrant, and maybe a spot will open up."

"It's quite fine, Lauren." Charlie said, walking towards the trio. "They're family." Her dark hair was pulled back into a messy bun, making her cruel, angular cheekbones seem even more prominent. She had both hands shoved into the wrinkled pockets of her blazer, managing to seem as nonchalant as ever. "You're awfully dressed up, Sherlock."

Sherlock snorted. "Hardly. Pleasure to see you, Charlotte."

She squirmed, looking uncomfortable. "Don't say my name like that; makes you sound like Mycroft, and God knows we couldn't have two of him. The world might end."

"He wasn't always like that." Sherlock said. "Only after what happened with Peggy."

"What happened with Peggy?" asked John.

His question was met with silence and downcast eyes.

"Maybe he needs another Peggy, then." Charlie said quietly.

Sherlock let out a bitter, breathy laugh. "It'd be impossible to replace her."

"Then try." Charlie hissed. "He's not just your brother, Sherlock-he's mine as well, and it pains me to see him like this."

"Just as much as it pains me to see you making a deal with the devil."

Charlie's demeanour changed in an instant. Both times Amelia had seen her, Charlie never seemed to let anything bother her, but at Sherlock's words, her entire body went tense. "And here I had been thinking that you'd come to pay me your first visit after your alleged 'death'." she said. "Come, let us discuss this in my office. These matters are not meant for public ears. Lauren, cancel everything for the remainder of the afternoon. I imagine I will have my plate full."