Chapter 4: Emile

"Dude! You won't believe what's happening," Chris yelled over the phone. "The girl is on the move!"

"Did you really just say 'the girl is on the move'?" Miles said sleepily.

"Yeah! We gotta go check this out!" Chris yelled, blowing out Emile's phone speakers a bit.

"Chris, where are you?" Emile asked.

"By the park. Random things happening, yo. It's a bunch of little rectangle things!"

"I'm coming, sheesh," Emile said, putting on a coat.

"I can't go..." Miles said. "Remember, my dad grounded me for getting a C in Biology.."

"Yeah, that was your fault," Chris teased. "You were watching anime until 3 AM, you weeb!"

"Way to rub it in."

"What?!"

"Chris, I'm biking over now. Cya!" Emile said, taking his bike out.

"Cool. Bye!"

Emile disconnected from the group call, shoved his phone in his pocket, and started biking the 3 blocks to the park.

How many of these will there be? Emile thought. This started completely out of nowhere, and now it's the third attack or something. What could this all mean?

Emile arrived at the park, and his jaw dropped.

A young child, 4 or 5, was sitting in the middle of a circle of a few block-like things, giggling.

"Emile!" Chris yelled, running over to Emile.

"What do you mean stuff is happening? Look at this, it's a kid playing with stuffed animals," Emile said, annoyed.

"You haven't seen the beginning of it, bro. Look over there." Chris pointed to the left.

Where he was pointing stood a tower of the block-like... creatures. Emile snapped his head back to take a look at the kid, who patted one of the blocks on it's top.

Emile gawked as he saw the block duplicate itself- forming a stack of two of them, one on top of the other.

The kid giggled, and patted it again, resulting in 3 blocky creatures.

"You have to be kidding me," Emile said.

"Nope. This has been happening for a while now, dude," Chris smugly replied. "Any impact from any direction results in replication in that direction! Talk about Newton's third law!"

"Now you start using your brain?"

"Anyways, this kid and a few other things dropping on the block things have been creating huge piles of 'em. The girl will show up any time now, and we can get that juicy video!" Chris said excitedly.

"You are way to obsessed with th- wait, you said she was here earlier!" Emile yelled.

"Anticipation!"

"That's it, you're crazy."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Chris said, smirking.

"Emile? Chris? What are you doing here?" said a familiar voice.

"Nice for you to drop by, Jayden," Chris said, crossing his arms.

"Heya, Jayden. I'm guessing you wanted to get some footage, right?" Emile asked.

"You bet. The second these started appearing, I came right out to take a better look," Jayden said, smiling. He looked past Emile and Chris. "And I guess I came at the right time- there she is!"

Sure enough, there was the girl. She was opening a portal of some sorts, sucking up some of the creatures, and the boys ran behind a bush to film.

The girl looked over to where the boys were, and sighed. "Really?" she asked, sucking up the block creatures up into the portal. "You're videoing me, now?"

"What? This is interestin-" Chris started.

"Just keep doing what you are doing, and ignore Chris!" Emile shouted.

"Wow, thanks," Chris whispered.

Suddenly, they heard a rumbling sound from about a block away, and a tower of the block like creatures was suddenly above the skyline. The girl said something terse and loud (Chris saying "Did she just cuss? In a different language?! That is sooo coool!"), and closed the portal once it sucked up the last of the block creatures.

She started to run over to the tower, but stopped, and turned to the trio.

"You know, I could actually use a bit of help here."

"What?!" the three boys said in unison.

"Dupliblock makes copies of itself when pressure is applied anywhere on its body- the copies being nothing but a husk. Therefore, the copies will all melt in water." She looked over to the tower. "What I want you guys to do is turn on all of the fire hydrants."

"So what you're saying is-" Jayden started.

"I'll open a wormhole to suck the rest of them up. Thanks! " The girl shouted, sprinting to the tower, leaving the boys alone.

The boys looked at each other.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Jayden said.

"Let's soak some rectangles!" Emile said, running to the tower. "Whoever turns the least hydrants on has to buy us all dinner!"

"You're on!" Chris and Jayden shouted, chasing after him.