Chapter Forty-Two: War Council Meeting

Queen Isabella

September 25th, 1540

I stepped out of Henry and my chambers and placed my hand on my belly and smiled as I felt the baby move around. Today I was officially five months. Amelia caught a fever last night and Henry stood up to help deal with her.

"What is on the agenda today Greer?" I asked as I walked into my office.

"You have a meeting in the council room in twenty minutes." She said as she unrolled a scroll.

"Does it have to do with finding Elijah?" I asked and Greer nodded as she handed me the map and I laid it across the table.

"They reported last night he was near the northern border. Which I slightly do not understand because it is nothing but water." I said as I grabbed a pin and placed it on the map.

"Yes, that was last night. Jason received a report he was spotted in Ribe." Greer said and I shook my head.

"That is not possible for him to get from the border to Ribe in under twelve hours." I said before I rolled up the map and we began our way towards the council rooms. When I got there everyone stood up and I nodded to them.

"Someone needs to start explaining how Elijah was able to make it from our northern borders to Ribe in under twelve hours," I ordered and everyone flinched.

"Your Majesty, we believe Elijah has someone working in on the inside," Jason said and I stared at them before looking around the table.

"We are missing Jonathan are we not?" I asked and I watched Jason take a quick look around the table and nodded.

"Yes, Your Majesty. What would you like us to do?" He asked and I grabbed one of my daggers and held it in my hand.

"Arrest him and interrogate him. If he is guilty like I think he is he will be hanged tomorrow at noon."

"Your Majesty, there has not been a public execution in Denmark since your mother was Queen." My advisor Thomas said.

"Maria is dead for committing treason. I am Queen! I decide what to do. Do you have a problem with that Sir Thomas?" I hissed and he shook his head.

"Not at all. How will the execution be?"

"Hanging. With me cutting the rope. Du er alle afskediget." (You are all dismissed) I said and they all nodded as they stood and bowed their heads. I watched one by one as they all left before letting out a sigh and resting a hand on my belly.

"You little one do not like when I am angry to do you?" I whispered and Greer chuckled as she handed me a goblet of water.

"The baby knows when the mother is in distress. Would you like me to inform Henry of what is going on?" She asked and I shook my head.

"No, I'll tell him later tonight at the banquet. I want you to find two more girls to join my ladies. I rely on you and Lola so much it is not fair. Especially since you have Nicholas." I said and Greer held my hand.

"If it is your will then it shall be mine as well. I will start looking tonight. I have heard of a Madam Aylee Richards who is looking for work. She is young." Greer said and I nodded as I felt the baby kick.

"She will do. Find one more. How are you and the Lord Castleroy doing?" I asked and she smiled as she began rolling parchment up.

"He would like to marry me. I told him to ask you." She said and I shook my head.

"Greer, if you love him you have my blessing. We have a wedding to plan!" I said as I brought her into a hug.

"I hope I am not interrupting." A voice said and I looked up to see Henry walking in with Amelia.

"Not at all. Greer is getting married." I said and Henry clapped his hands.

"Congratulations Greer. As a gift please let Bella and I pay for the wedding." He said as he handed me Amelia who rested on my belly.

"Your Majesty I cannot." She began but Henry shook his head.

"Nonsense. You are the twin's godmother. It is the least we could do." He said and Greer nodded before she bowed her head and left.

"Jason informed me of what you plan to do," Henry said as Bash brought me a note.

"Well, it seems I was correct. Jonathan confessed as soon as they got to him. He is to be hanged tomorrow at noon." I said as I gave him the note.

I watched as Henry looked over the note before sighing.

"Why is your brother doing this?" He asked and I sighed.

"When I was fourteen Emil was my regent. I was sent away to be a normal girl and at the end of my year someone tried to poison me but my tester found out first. It was said to be Elijah's mother who did it to me." I explained and Henry sighed.

"I am no coward and I will not hide away from my brother. I will find all his minions and then him. I will be at that execution tomorrow. You will join me." I said and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"An order?" He asked with a slight smirk on his face making me smile as I reached up and kissed him softly.

"If you want it to be."

"You will be the death of me Bella."