Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

He awoke just in time to see their approach to the right-hand entrance, to the transect wall, that would lead him to his destination. The bright yellow building was a beauty to behold. It amazed him how the color cut down the glare of the sun off the stones in the heat of the day.

He got out of the carriage and entered through what seemed like a storage space on the ground level. The Secunde, who was the second in command of the settlement, met Benjamin before he could reach the upper floors where he knew the Governor's quarters to be.

"May I help, you?"

"I am here to see the Governor. I am an emissary of Queen Charlotte, consort to Great Britain and Ireland. It is of great importance that I see him immediately." Benjamin stated.

"He is not in his chambers. He is at Da Kat, his offices. I will take you there. Follow me."

The young man took him to a different part of the Castle. As they traversed the courtyard Benjamin had seen the Crest inside the split pediment showing the influence the Dutch had on this grand structure. The six crests represented the different chambers of trade of the Dutch East India Company but now Cape Town is under English rule.

The bell in the tower rung out the hour, as they continued their way to the Governor's office. Inside the castle walls, besides offices and living quarters, there was a church, a bakery, several workshops, and a prison.

Inside the castle, Benjamin noticed clinker bricks used as decorative features in certain parts obviously salvaged from the ballasts used in the Dutch ships. The Secunde had stopped walking, finally, they reached their destination. The Secunde rapped loudly on the wooden door and was bayed to enter.

"Governor Cradock, there is an emissary from the Queen here to see you."

"The Queen?" John Cradock looked up and immediate recognition showed on his features. "Mr. Benjamin McAllister, as I live and breathe. You are the emissary?"

"John Cradock," Benjamin said with equal surprise. He strode forward to shake the man's outstretched hand. "When did you become Governor of the Cape Colony?"

"Over the last year. Seems my stint in the West Indies and briefly serving as Governor of Gibraltar has given me enough qualifications for the position."

Benjamin shook his head in wonder. He had served under Cradock briefly when he was part of the Dragoons. "Certainly, you have received the letter by now?"

"I have, but she did not mention who was coming. Only that she was sending an emissary to collect Lord Fitton, to assist him on his mission. Unfortunately, Commander Redgrave has not graced us with his presence as of yet. I imagine he resupplied elsewhere and has continued on to India."

Benjamin felt like a ship whose wind has been sucked from its sails, to stop it dead in the water. He sat down in the chair located across from the Governor's desk.

"I see this news has distressed you," Cradock observed, taking a seat himself. "You are welcome to stay in Cape Town as my guest. I am certain Redgrave is likely to return here to the Cape."

Benjamin's looked up puzzled. "What would give you that impression?"

"It would seem they have commandeered a vessel from a French fleet. The ship has docked here to be reworked and commissioned for our defense. Redgrave, it would seem had a vessel full of impressed men. Those that chose not to sail with him are now here looking for new routes home or settling in. There are however several more experienced crew members that volunteered to sail the ship to be certain it made it to its destination. From my report, it was said that Commander Redgrave and his fleet would be returning here for them on his travels back to England."

Benjamin was already shaking his head in denial. All this way, and still no closer.

"Well," Benjamin stood and so did Cradock. "I will not take up any more of your valuable time. I must, it seems, move on to India."

"McAlister, why waste your time chasing him down? When he is to return here?"

"Because letters were sent to the ports here and to our ports in India, instructing Lord Fitton to stay put until my arrival. So, if he is not here then I have no choice but to push on."

"I see," said Cradock. "Well, if your ship is resupplying and you have the time... may I invite you to dinner?"

"Your invite is most gracious indeed, but I fear I must decline. It is imperative that we set sail as soon as possible and I will need to prepare for the journey."

Cradock nodded. "Should things change, the offer stands."

"Thank you," Benjamin said holding his hand out and Cradock shook it. Cradock ordered his Secunde to see Benjamin out of the Castle and to arrange a carriage to return him to his ship.

Benjamin thanked him again, for his hospitality and assistance. With a slight shrug, Cradock replied, "I am sorry I could not be more helpful."

"Nonsense," Benjamin retorted. "You gave me exactly the information I required. Good day to you, John."

"And you as well, Benjamin."

Benjamin walked back with the Secunde and was secured a carriage to take him back to McCullen's ship, his heart heavy knowing it would be quite some time before he received news of his Clara.

Upon his return, it took but a look for McCullen to know Benjamin did not get the news he was looking for. "So, Fitton is not here?"

"No," Benjamin said. The crew was bustling about, crates being carried on board as he leaned over the rail to watch the waves crash against the ship's hull, with the rising tide.

"No need to despair, Benji. There is always India." McCullen offered.

"I know," Benjamin stated blandly his mood refusing to be lifted.

"Come to town with me. We will have a grand time in this beautiful place before we set sail in the morning."

"I am not in the mood." Benjamin bristled.

"I refuse to take no for an answer. Besides, I have a surprise for you." McCullen smiled and Benjamin took note of the mischievous look he had about him.

"What are you up to?" Benjamin inquired. McCullen only chuckled at his friend's assessing gaze.

"No. I will say no more," McCullen said with a dismissive wave to his had but as he began to walk away he added, "Except perhaps, that I found a man at the dock who had quite a story to tell about... what was that name again... ?" McCullen rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Oh yes, Benjamin Claremont. I am meeting him for dinner."

McCullen reached the plank and looked over his shoulder. "Are you coming?"

It took Benjamin less than a few seconds to reach McCullen who was now openly laughing at him. "I thought as much."