||21||

"Everyone stood here, plus one other, have passed. Congratulations. You have one month to train for the next round," the proctor announces.

All of us meaning, myself, Shikamaru, Shino, Kankuro, Temari, Naruto, Neji, Gaara, Dosu, Riku and Sasuke who was still resting.

If I was going to be honest, I didn't care, so I was just reading.

"Here will be who you fight in the final test," he produced a piece of paper and I peered up to see I was fighting Riku. What a pain... Why am I fighting my team all of a sudden?

It was me vs Riku, Naruto vs Neji, Sasuke vs Gaara, Kankuro vs Shino, Shikamaru vs Temari, then Shikamaru vs Dosu.

Why's Shikamaru doing two battles?

I sighed and closed my book.

"Can I ask why I'm fighting my team?" I asked. Everyone looked at me surprised, the Hokage just laughed.

"It just seems that we've been placed into a situation where we knock each other out. Like last round, myself vs Yuuto, if not me winning I suppose it would be Yuuto vs Riku next round and if I wasn't against Yuuto in this round then I would've been against Riku," I said, Riku just pushed his glasses up.

"I agree. This cannot be a coincidence," Riku spoke up, completely understanding my logic.

"It would seem I've been caught out," the Hokage says, approaching us, he smiled, "your team is the one to be most likely to become chunin this year. So I wanted to test you out. You three have proved very well that you deserve that thought."

"That's so stupid," I mumbled, Riku just sighed before putting his hand out.

"We can't train together. We must get strong on our own. I look forward to battling you," he says, I shake his hand and nod.

"Alright you two. Now you know my motive, any problem?" the Hokage asked, I looked at him, the air slightly chilling.

"Only that this seems pretty awful. But either way, I look forward to battling Riku. He is a genjutsu user after all," I say, Riku chuckled.

"You better find your trigger so I can fight you at 100%," he tells me before turning around as Hyousuke sensei approached us.

"You brats are too paranoid," he hit the back of our heads before sighing.

"You're dismissed," the proctor finally spoke up and one by one people left.

"We're not paranoid. We're just curious," Riku retorts as we walk out and find Yuuto waiting with a bowl of instant ramen in his hand. Happily eating away despite the fact he was sleeping moments earlier.

"Yuuto!" Hyousuke called him, "how're you feeling?"

"Much better now I've rested. We really went all out. I'm happy to have been able to fight you on an equal level," he replied, aiming the last part at me.

I smiled and nodded as my father approached us.

"Can I steal y/n?" he asked, Hyousuke nodded and I waved before leaving them and walking beside my father. We walked through the streets of Konohagakure in silence until we reached the front gates.

"Another mission?" I asked.

"Yeah. I'll be gone for a while, but I'm going to try and get back for your finals," he tells me. I smile and nod.

"Stay safe then!" I tell him with a smile, his team appeared and I watched as they ran off. I have a plan.

Turning around once I couldn't see my father anymore, I walked straight towards the Hokage's office.

Knocking twice I enter the room.

"Lord Hokage, I ask you to allow me to take a month out for my training," I asked him. He leant forward and intertwined his fingers together and rested his chin on the top.

"Where are you planning to go?" he asked.

"The land of waves."

"By yourself?"

"Yes."

"Don't you think you're a bit young to travel that far by yourself?" he asked, I stopped to think.

"I guess, but I've got a lot of experience in the outdoors and being by myself. Plus after all my training, I can easily defend myself better now," I told him. He went silent, thinking for a moment.

"After all this time in the village, I've seen improvements in you. For example, when you first arrived you used to travel through the shadows so much, but now, you walk everywhere. You were excellent at throwing but now you're the best at that and you may even be better that Might Guy in taijutsu when you feel the situation calls for it. You're even almost as smart as Shikamaru and Kakashi. Maybe you'll become the next best shinobi. So yes, I'll allow this request," he told me. Pulling out a slip of paper from the drawer and writing on it.

"You'll leave tonight, if you use the shadows, you should be there in half a day. Then you'll leave on the day of the final exam, you should arrive on just before it begins," he tells me, passing me the slip. I nodded and bowed.

"Thank you, Lord Hokage," I nodded and then excused myself before deciding it would be best to use the shadows so I can get around quicker and do what I need to before I leave.

Shikamaru's PoV

"Shikamaru!" Choji burst into my house with Ino, Kiba, Shino and Sakura close behind him. Myself and my parents looked at them confused.

"What's the matter, Choji?" I asked, placing the towel I was holding, down onto the counter and turning to him.

"Y/n's leaving the village!" Kiba exclaimed, pushing past Choji.

"What?" my mother almost shouted before pushing through the door, my father following. I sighed and followed after.

We reached her house just as she was locking it.

"Y/n!" my mother shouted.

"Yoshino? Shikaku? Shikamaru? Wait-- what's happening here?" she asked tilting her head in confusion.

"We could ask the same question!" Sakura replied, grabbing her wrists and pulling her forward, "are you really leaving the village?"

For the moment she looked confused before she smiled and laughed a little.

"I'm only going for a month to train. I know someone who can further my training just a bit more," she replied, pulling out of Sakura's hold, "I'll be back in a month. There's no need to worry, after all, I'm used to the outside world."

I felt a sudden wash of guilt come over me.

She shouldn't be boasting about being used to being outside alone.