Foolish Lies

2019

As brief as his cat nap had been Zacky felt refreshed. Sleep was still a precious commodity and both he and Kelly grabbed it when they could. Provided that Sloane didn't need them. Whilst he was thrilled with Laine's help he still hadn't been able to step back enough to allow her to take control of the baby upon occasion. Her help with their meals though? That had been a godsend. It was good to know that someone was ensuring that he and Kelly weren't left to survive on a diet composed almost entirely of brie and crackers. It allowed him to focus on working with his band mates on their next album.

"Yo, Zack." Brian caught his attention. He hadn't even noticed his friend stand up. "You want one?" Brian gestured to the mini-fridge standing open with its selection of beers and other beverages on display. Brian held a bottle of water in one hand a beer in the other.

"A water?" Zacky asked confused because on the bashed up old coffee table sat Brian's nearly full bottle of beer. Why the fuck was he getting another one? He hoped that Matt was recording everything Brian played because if the guy was getting this wasted this early there was a good chance he wouldn't remember a single idea he'd had.

"No dickhead, a fucking beer. The water's for me. Steph is cool with me drinking while we work but she told me that if I wind up with a hangover because I've not been hydrating she's going to hide the pomegranate juice, the Coke, the coffee and every other good thing as well as serving me salad for the following three meals. In short, she'll make me suffer," Brian grimaced and then raised an ironic eyebrow. "So I'm making self-care a priority."

Zacky couldn't hold back his laughter. Sometimes Brian sounded like such a douche but he loved the guy. And Steph? She was one of the best things that had ever happened to the guy. She had her own series of quirks and in her own quiet way was just as much of a show off as his friend. Together they were magic.

"I hate to break it to you bro but drinking water while you knock back your second beer of the day before," Zacky glanced at his watch, "eleven in the morning doesn't exactly strike me as a high level of self-care. Maybe forgo the beer entirely?'

As if that was going to happen.

Brian gave him the expected look of deep offence before shaking his head adamantly. "I'm Synyster-fucking-Gates. Forgoing the beer would fuck with my process. So I'm drinking the water. Steph has inserted a microscopically tiny spy into our midst to report back on my water consumption." Brian gave Johnny, who was cheerfully refilling his own wine glass, a heavy dose of side-eye before turning back to Zacky and waving the beer bottle. "So do you want this or not so I can close the fridge door before Matt starts to complain about his electricity account like the old man that he is?"

"Fuck off asshole," Matt responded without heat as he once more focused on his notebook.

Zacky couldn't suppress his smile. It felt good to be back doing what they did. Although none of them would admit it the events of the last couple of years had shaken them all up. It was good to know that regardless of the changes in their personal lives when it came to the band their dynamic worked as well as it ever had. Even if the recent news of Elliot's death had put Jimmy back in the forefront of their minds. Brooks, being the chilled and considerate guy that he was, hadn't let it get to him. It was good to know that he felt secure in his place in the band.

"Fine," Zacky held out an imperative hand, "give me a fucking beer. Kelly told me that she'd cut my nuts off if I let anything to do with her and Sloane affect our writing process."

Matt looked up from his notebook and raised his eyebrows. "So you're back on the sauce? Was she serious man?"

Brian handed Zacky his beer and sat down. Zacky gave him a nod of thanks and took a sip before he responded to Matt. "I don't know but I'm not going to risk it. It wasn't that long ago that she gave birth so it's not like she needs a whole lot of incentive to castrate me."