Calum

"It finally happened, she came up to me, and said the words that I had always wanted to hear, 'this beer is on the house.'" Michael started laughing at his own words. The guys had gone out last night with their girlfriends to celebrate being back home with them. After buying beer after beer, the bartender gave them each one on the house. I opted to stay home since we only had a few days here, and I didn't have anyone special to spend the time with. We were all gathered in Ashton's pool as we sipped on hard lemonade that Mike had brought. It was a chill day to relax before we had to get back into the swing of constant busy schedules and traveling.
"Guys, can we get serious for a second?" I asked. The boys all turned to look at me before I got a sure, whatever, and ok.
"We've never talked about how yall met your soulmates? What does it feel like?" Michael found his just a four years after he got his indicator, Luke found his just a year after Mike, and Ashton most recently found his two years ago. I've had my indicator for eight years now. No one in the band had had theirs that long. Everyone gets their indicator at fifteen, and I'm getting restless.
"Yeah, sure, man. We can talk about it." Ashton said, but Mike opened his mouth to tell his story first.
"It was around lunchtime when I noticed my timer was winding down. I was walking down the sidewalk, and accidently bumped shoulders with this girl. I instantly apologized then she said, 'so that's what green looks like?' I felt like id known her my whole life and her smile was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen." the smile that was on his face as he concluded his story showed how much joy he got from remembering that day. Michael continued to sip on his lemonade as Luke chose to speak up next.
"Uh, well, we both had initials on our wrists," he paused at the questioning looks we were giving him. "Some versions of initials only show to you and your soulmate. We didn't know that until it happened. Just like all indicators, it disappeared when we found each other so it didn't matter that it was there."
"Wait, it disappears?" I cut in before he could say anymore. All the guys nodded their heads.
"Not instantly. I know someone who met their soulmate and still had their identifier a year later. It just depends on how long you've had it and what you have," Ashton informed before Luke finished his story. "Anyways, it was like something clicked in my brain that said she was meant to be in my life."
"She had a normal timer like everyone else that went down to the seconds. I never stressed too much with mine because I just had the day timer. It told me how many days til we met so when I got it and it was nearly 3,000 days, I just sat back and waited. When our eyes met, it was like everyone else disappeared. Hella romantic." everybody shared a laugh at the way he chose to end his story. Well, at least I knew their stories. None of them had a quote tattoo, but each story reassured me of the instant feeling of knowing. Everyday I wished I had a timer so that I didn't have to stress about when it would happen.
"You know, we all thought you had the super rare hair one when you put those blonde streaks in," Luke laughed. "Turns out it was just a fashion choice," he shrugged as the rest of my friends laughed along.
—————
The day before we left, I had a crazy idea as I thought back to what Luke had said in the pool about my hair.
Maybe a change in my life would be fun. I sent a quick text to Ashton with my idea, and he instantly agreed to meet me later.
We both met up outside of a hair salon. It wasn't the way I thought I would be spending my friday, but here we were.
"You sure about this, mate?" Ashton questioned. "I'm not letting you do it on your own, and I'm still down."
"Yeah," I paused as if trying to believe it myself. "Yeah, I think this will be good for me." Ashton nodded his head as he opened the door and walked in.
It was three hours later when Ash had a new red hairdo, and I was a blonde. I've always been told that blondes have more fun, so we shall see. We were both very satisfied with the way the hair turned out. We just hoped the fans would be alright with the sudden change.
I was lying in bed later that evening thinking about how early I had to wake up to make it to the airport. We would be traveling around the US before going on to other countries. It was a nine month long tour with at least a hundred tour dates. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to be able to do the job that I love.
I decided to check my Soulscreen app before I fell asleep. Once again I was met with the four letter word. Everytime I see that it makes me long for a time when I can take my soulmate somewhere new. They never leave their hometown, and I wish they did. Maybe if they did I would have met them already because I'm assuming home wasn't los angeles for them. I really have to stop getting mad at them for not traveling and calling them a lameass. I didn't mean any of it, I'm just aggravated with myself that I haven't found a way to get them into my life.
Maybe, just maybe, this will be the tour that leads me straight to them. Maybe this will be the last time I have to be home by myself.
I took one last look at the clock to see that I could get a decent night's sleep if I fell asleep now. I closed my eyes with my last thoughts being the words attached to my ankle and how they would feel coming out of someones mouth.