XXIII.

"Hm....Isen wrote the top story again. Not bad."

Yeah? Well my story could've been top if you hadn't revoked it, I thought curtly.

I watched in exasperation as Arlo's blue eyes scanned over the newspaper, seated near John's unconscious body. My hand settled on top of his clammy forehead as the infirmary lights illuminated the sheen layer of sweat.

"What the hell was that, Arlo?" I glared at him angrily. My glowing hands hovered over John's chest, occasionally turning him onto his side so he could cough up blood without choking.

"Hm?" He looked up and set the paper down.

"Enclosing the mid-tiers in a barrier like that...?" My crimson glow on my hands hovered over the bruises on John's face. "Any smaller and Illena could've been crushed."

His face hardened.

"Excuse me, if I remember correctly, it seemed like you couldn't assert yourself properly over a squad of lowly mid-tiers." He stared straight through me. "Delta, someone of your rank should not have to use their powers to get subordinates to listen."

I clenched my jaw.

"You think after how they were pummeling John into the ground they would've wanted to listen to me??"

"Your mere presence should be enough to stop the quarreling, as I did." Arlo replied pompously. "You need to start flaunting your rank and stop acting like you're like everyone else, because you're not. You're a high-tier. Your ability alone can take down the entire school. With the way you've been presenting yourself, (protecting bullied low-tiers, befriending a cripple), students don't take your rank seriously. You're better than how you present yourself."

I averted my gaze away from Arlo, my cheeks flushed with anger.

"My offer still stands. We both know who Wellston's true Queen is."

I stared at the floor. So Arlo's still set on me being Queen. Is this really a path I want to be set on? I know i've brashly promised to tear down Arlo's hierarchy from the inside. And the best way to do that is to become a Royal, where I get the benefits of playing on Arlo's good side, leaving him vulnerable and attacking when he least expects it. It'd be so easy to disassemble what he built up if I became a Royal, and exonerate myself from the position after I tie up the loose ends.

But then again....

My friends.

Blyke, the Jack. And Remi, who I know I could never tear away this position away from, especially after how great of a friend she's been. Especially knowing what she's been through. Especially knowing that Irel was her brother's best friend. There's so much i'd be gaining from this, but would severing the ties i've worked so hard to build up be worth it?

"Give me a reason." I said, as the crimson glow on my hands dissipated.

Arlo peered up from his paper again to look at me.

"Hm?"

"Give me a reason. And give me a reason aside from the superiority complex I possess. I need something to really convince me. A sensible reason. A sign." I said and finally met his eyes.

He studied me carefully and set his paper down, folding his hands. But before he could speak, suddenly John shot up from his bed, huffing heavily. His eyes wildly scanned the room, throwing his fist towards Arlo's face. John stood up and seized Arlo's collar forcefully before yelling.

"WHY DID YOU HELP ME?! WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING? WHAT'S YOUR MOTIVE FOR SAVING ME?"

Unfazed, Arlo shoved John's hand away and stood up. He towered a few inches above John. I felt the tension in the room rise intensely, squaring my stance in case they were to fight.

"Don't be so full of yourself. I don't know what kind of delusional world you're stuck in, but not everything revolves around you. Wake up and take a good look at who you just hit."

John took a step back towards me unthinkingly, his eyes widening at the sudden realization.

"Luckily for you, i'm very patient. Unlike some people, I don't act on impulse. You should know, I absolutely despise people who refuse to learn their place." Arlo glanced at me. "Had it not been for Delta's presence, you would've been put through this wall."

He walked towards the door and stopped before exiting.

"The next time you lay your hands on me, whether she's here or not, I won't be so lenient."

John stared at the door for a moment before turning to me in shock. I smiled weakly as I swayed back onto the foot of the bed unsteadily, gripping my head.

"Delta? Are you alright? You're not hurt, are you?" He asked anxiously.

"I'm fine....i'm fine....i'm....fine."

I felt a flood of tears uncontrollably escape my eyes, my hands cupping my face in embarrassment.

"Delta! You said you were fine...!" He reached out to me worriedly. "I swear, if those idiots hurt you, i'll-"

"It's not that." I wiped my cheeks in embarrassment with the sleeve of my jacket, untying the black ribbon in my hair to release my ponytail. "I...I just....i'm sorry, John. For not protecting you. Before Sera left, I promised her I would protect you while she's away. I promised her that I would prevent any harm from coming to you, but i'm failing at it horribly. You know how many times i've had to rush to find you and discover that you've been beaten to a pulp by someone? How many hours i've spent in the infirmary, waiting for you to recover from your injuries?" I shook my head, my shiny coat of straight hair falling in front of my face. "None of this would've happened if I was there by your side, watching you and protecting you. I'm a horrible friend. To you and Seraphina."

He looked taken aback. John kneeled in front of me, using his bandaged hand to tilt my head my head up to him. I expected his golden eyes to be filled with malice and disappointment, but to my surprise, he looked relieved unworried.

His hand reached for my cheek as his face came closer to mine. The gentle touch of his lips against my forehead made me freeze. I closed my eyes as I absorbed the indescribable feeling for a brief moment before pulling away. My cheeks flushed at the action, emulating so much heat that there was no doubt he could feel it.

"Del....what are you even saying?" His thumbs stroked the remnants of the tears festering on my cheeks. "You're like....the best person i've ever met. You can't always keep an eye on me 24/7. But you're so selfless to always put yourself on the line just to protect me first, and without hesitation. Don't think any less of yourself. I don't care what anyone else thinks because, honestly, if they think anything else, they obviously don't know you at all. And i'm certain Sera would feel the same way, too."

I was speechless. My heart thudded heavily at these words, before my expression melted into a heartfelt smile.

John....

Thank you. :;