Chapter 7 - An eye for an eye

"And I watched you die." His story was short and concise. It didn't give him time to be emotional or give me enough detail to get worked up, and yet I could tell it was something harrowing for him. It had been 45 years after all and he struggled to recount the events with a straight face. I took his hand in mine and gave him the most reassuring smile I could manage. Silence fell over the dimly lit room for what felt like hours; we just sat in each other's presence and let the solemn mood drift out the window with the final light of the day, leaving us to sit in darkness, fingers intertwined.

After what could have been hours, Five pulled his hand from mine and reached into the pocket of his shorts, swiftly pulling out a small sphere. He rolled it through his fingers before pinching it between his middle and fore fingers and holding it out to me. I frowned but took it from him nonetheless. An eye?
"Is this...?" He nodded.
"The eye I found in Luther's hand, yes." I turned it around in my hand and read the small numbers imprinted into the white glass.
"It's the only lead I've got." He stood up and headed quickly to the door.
"We've wasted too much time already." He opened the door and exited leaving me to jump from the small couch and hurry after him, shutting the door softly as to not wake Vanya. He was in the car before I even exited the building, but waited for me to arrange myself in the back before driving off. He seemed to know exactly where he was heading, so I just left him to his devices and let myself doze off into the backseat.

I was awoken to the blinding light of the sun by the sound of a car door slamming angrily and the sight of Five cursing to himself in the front seat. The scraping of my feathers against the fabric of the car caused Five to turn around as if he'd only just remembered I was here.
"Good morning sleepyhead." He teased lightly. I scowled at him as I leaned forward into the front of the car to see him better. His face had settled back into its own scowl, but he was genuinely angry.
"Soo... Whatcha been up to?" His grip on the steering wheel of the unmoving car tightened.
"I tried to find out who that damn eye belongs to. Wouldn't tell me obviously. I've got to find some way of getting that information." I could only scoff at him lightly.
"You do remember you look like a 13 year old, yes. You're not going to get a lot out of anyone like this." Five just sat in silence, staring out into the road. He started up the car and drove away into the street. It took me no time to realise he was heading home. He pulled into the alleyway beside the house and got out without a word. I couldn't tell if he was ignoring me or drowning in his own thoughts, but either way he entered the house without even casting his gaze back at me, leaving me to struggle lightly to fold myself through the car door. Through the doorway into the house was as far as I followed Five, allowing him to his own thoughts and actions whilst he was in this odd state. I wandered up the creaking my stairs to my room, allowing myself to collapse into my bed and bask in the warmth of the duvet.

What is with me and falling asleep today? I sat up, the light causing me to squint and pull the duvet over my head. Wait. When did I get under the duvet? I paused for a second before brushing off the thought and sauntering downstairs. The house was quiet, meaning Klaus was definitely out. The other may be noisy but Klaus could fill the entire academy with noise just by talking. I think he hated the silence as much as I did. But now silence is a friend to me, but Klaus doesn't seemed to have socialised at the right parties, and made friends with drugs instead. My mind was cast back to when we still had contact, barely a year or two after he'd left the academy. I'd bailed him out of one or two sticky situations with the po-po and a couple rehabs, but my 'age' always restricted the help I could give, and next thing I knew we'd drifted apart. Klaus and Vanya were the only people who tried to stay in contact, and I cut ties with Vanya myself as soon as I finished that damn book. Klaus was all over the place, both literally and mentally, so whilst he tried to stay in contact, the inability to track him down half the time drew our communicating to a halt.
I wonder where he'd disappeared to this time.