Chapter 31 - Grizzly Bear

Start from the beginning

"We were dramatic." Ella conceded.

"You were, but he was very melancholy about us being grown up."

"He was the same, after he found out about you two."

"Great! I knew I couldn't get away unscathed." Tony stood. "I'll be back."

Ella watched as he walked towards the restrooms.

Ava laughed. "Mom told him we were all grown up, and he should be setting his sights on grandchildren. Then they started debating which of us was going to be engaged first." She looked and as Tony was heading back, she whispered, "They made a bet. Mom chose Joe and Dad chose Tony."

"Figures, my engagement will be his worst nightmare. What was the wager?"

"I'm not sure they were whispering and Mom giggled."

Ella covered her ears. "OMG I don't want to know!"

Hearing about her parents' conversation gave her hope.

On Sunday morning, they were enjoying their coffee when Joe asked, "Where do you want to live? Here close to school or closer to your family?"

Ella looked up. "Live?"

"Yeah. We should look in the spring. It's crazy for us both to keep paying rent."

"I don't know. The three of us fit here."

"El, I was thinking a house."

"Oh!" Her belly did a flip flop at the thought of the permanency of a real home. Location mattered, as it meant a tradeoff between their daily commute and distance to their future children's grandparents.

"My mother left the house to me, although it wasn't worth much."

"Why only you?" She preferred not think about his mother.

"I'm not sure, but I think it was because it was my father's house. It was either that or part of her marriage scheme. Regardless, it's enough for a decent down payment.

"I'll give up my apartment, but not before my father accepts you."

"El sweetheart, go home. Go see your family today. Your father will come around faster if he sees you're happy."

"You're sending me away!" She pretended to be hurt.

"You know I'd rather." He leaned in and nibbled at her ear. "... spend the day with you, but I don't want to take you from your family."

"Okay, but I won't stay long and I'll talk about you to anyone who will listen."

"Just don't anger your father. It's my job."

Ella kissed him long and hard on
the lips. Her father loved her too much not to come around.

Heads turned when she walked into the house. Looking around, she asked her mother where her father was.

"Still at the office. Sarah is with him. Clare's at the hospital, but the boys are in the other room."

She walked in the living room to find both her uncle's with her cousins. Bridget and Fiona ran to her. She hugged Bridget and picked up Fiona.

"Where's Joe and Caleb?" Bridget asked.

Ella had to bite back the response on the tip of her tongue, Uncle Tim doesn't like him.

Instead, Nick said, "They're at home, but Ella's here!"

"Can we go to Joe's house?" Bridget asked.

Nick answered, "Maybe some time when we go to the ocean."

Ella knew they occasionally visited a friend who lived by the beach. Bridget was satisfied with his answer, but Ella wanted to say she could see their house once they bought one. It was probably best she refrained.

Uncle Michael put his arm around her."You look like yourself again. Don't worry about your father, he's just stubborn. He'll come around, but let Joe know I have dibs on his fingers. I heard he doesn't have many body parts left."

Ella laughed. "Tony's the Italian one and he isn't threatening body parts. We're not the mafia!"

Tony complained, "No stereotyping!"

Everyone laughed, but the laughter died off when Tim walked in.

She walked over to him. "Hi Daddy." She kissed his cheek. "I hope you don't mind, but Joe suggested I come for a visit."

Tim looked around. "Is he here?"

"No, he knows you hate him."

"I don't hate."

"Then he hurt you and you aren't ready to forgive him."

He grumbled under his breath and it was then Ella noticed the whole room was silent, even the little ones.

Sara arrived and the silence ended with Fiona. "Mumma, Mumma!"

Sara scooped her up and looked around. "What did I miss?"

Nick said, "Nothing, just my stubborn brother."

Sara said, "Oh hi Ella. Is Joe here then?"

In unison, Nick, Michael and Ella all said, "No!"

"Too bad."

Tim pouted and Julie put her arm around her husband. Ella felt better seeing her parents together.

Everyone relaxed and they enjoyed their afternoon. As the meal was being cleaned up, Elizabeth announced, "I'll package some of these leftovers for Ella to take for Joe and his brother. Ella froze and looked at her father and then her grandmother. If Tim was going to complain one look from Elizabeth made him back down.

Ella had expected him to argue it was his food, but he stayed silent. "Ella, go ask your Uncle if he wants to bring food home for Clare."

Ella was glad to move out of the kitchen. As she approached Michael, he asked, "Are you alright, Ellie?"

She smiled because it was the name only he called her. "Yeah, but why is the mafia not after him?" She meant her father.

"Nick and I are trying to work out a plan to declaw the bear."

She laughed "Granny wants to know if Auntie wants food?"

"If there's enough, she'll be sorry she missed you."

Ella was glad had spent time with her family.. When she went to leave she received hugs, but she had to approach her father. She hugged him. "I love you, Daddy. Please I'm really happy."

When he hugged her back, Ella was confident he would come around. She didn't expect him to treat Joe like a son again. She hoped Joe would be welcome at Christmas, because she would not be spending the day without him.