Chapter Five: Whirlwind - New Friend

We finished all the promotions we needed to do in L.A. and we got back to London for some more interviews and to finish recording the album. We had a day off in between all the work, and everyone was busy with their families and friends. I had plans with Izzie that night, but I had the whole afternoon free and alone, while she worked. I got bored at home so I decide to go to the city and walk around. After doing so for a while, I got thirsty so I went to a coffee shop. I was standing in line, waiting for my turn to order when I heard a guy behind me, calling me. I turned to see who it is.

'Excuse me, are you Cassie Sparrow?'

I tried hiding the shock on my face but I wasn't successful at that.

He laughed lightly then stretched his arm for a handshake which I gladly accepted.

'Hello, how are you?' He asked.

'I'm good! How are you?'

'I'm okay. Didn't think I'd get to meet you. And definitely not here in a coffee shop.'

'Yeah same here.' I nervously chuckled.

'Can I get you anything?'

'Zain, you don't have to really... I can pay for my own coffee. Thanks for the offer though.'

He smiled at me and said, 'I insist.'

'Alright, thank you! Next time is on me!'

'Are you in a hurry or can we sit and talk?' He asked.

'No I'm free till 6.'

We ordered and took our coffee and sat on one of the tables in the back.

'I'm sorry, but I gotta ask. And I'm probably making this even more awkward by bringing it up. But why are you talking to me?' I asked nicely.

'I'm just curious. I've been hearing a lot about you lately. You have a lovely voice by the way!'

'Wow! Thank you! You do too! I love your music!'

'Oh, so you did listen to it.'

'Of course! Why would I not?'

'There's a lot who haven't. Some people don't accept change.'

'Well, I gotta admit. I did struggle with the idea at first. But it's not fair. You should be able to do whatever makes you more comfortable and happy, regardless of what anyone says or think. I really hope you got that.'

'Thank you for saying that. And yeah I guess I am more comfortable with what I'm doing now. I'm glad you understand'

'So what are your plans now?'

'Really? Are we gonna talk work? I was hoping maybe get to know each other more.'

'We can do that too!' I chirped.

We talked for a long time. Talking to Zayn, was nothing I expected. Then again I didn't expect anything. I didn't think I'd ever run into him, or if I did we would just ignore each other, considering. But I felt happy talking to him, slightly nostalgic too.

'Why are you laughing?' I asked.

'Nothing, it's just the way you pronounce my name.'

'What about it? It's the correct way, isn't it? Not the posh stylisation with the Y. Like was that really necessary? What did the i ever do to you? You had to change it into a Y because it looks cooler!' I joked.

'Look who's talking!' He gasped. 'Miss "I'm using my second name and changed my last name"?'

'Hey, I changed my last time way before I joined the group! But yeah, I see your point. You win!'