11: Love Is The Word

Noah

Some words have a lot of definitions. But, one word in particular, can be defined in ways other than words. To some, it's the pleasure of being accompanied. To others, it's the cute things. Some think of it as hormones and biological functions. It's a wide spectrum, that word. Sometimes it's a feeling and sometimes it's a state. It makes us and breaks us and we fall for it all over again.

I think the most important definition of it is finding solace and peace in a calm moment, without feeling the need to do anything about it, or to change it. Just enjoy the silence you're sharing and feel it linger around until a part of you attaches itself to it, and makes the silence a very meaningful conversation.

"Noa-Noah?" Kent stuttered.

"What happened, Kent?" I asked, concerned and frantic.

I hurriedly grabbed him by his arms, "Here let me help you up." I said while I got him to stand on his feet. He ached all over. He was in pain. I was in pain over his pain.

He didn't say anything, just painful grunts. My eyes started welling up. No one is strong enough to witness this without breaking. How was he strong enough to go through it?

I dragged him around the house and with what little energy left in him, I got him to my bed. He rested on the mattress, visibly becoming more comfortable. I took off his shoes and the weary jacket that slung over his shoulders.

I sat on the edge of the bed next to his head and started passing my hand through his hair, calming him down. My grandma used to do it to me all the time and it relaxed me.

I wanted to take all the pain away, but I could only watch. This hurt me the most. His eyes were closed, but he opened them a little, more like a squint.

"D-Don't cry Noah, I'm fine, fine really. I don't want to see you cry. Angels don't cry."

"How could you say that? You look like a truck drove back and forth over your body. I'm not an angel. I'm just stupid for not coming home earlier." I thought about how I was taking my life for granted, having a night out and forgetting about everything, when Kent was going through hell and beyond. "What happened to you?"

"I-I'll tell you in few. And you're not stupid, you wouldn't have known..." That was the last thing he said before he dozed off. I didn't stop, though. I kept ruffling his light brown hair, and at one point, I leaned in and kissed his forehead, just like my father did to my dad.

His face didn't have any bruises, but his body seemed to be full of them. He had tear stains over his face, so he must have been crying a lot. I cursed myself for being out having fun and wasting my time while he was falling apart at my door.

I didn't know how much I dwelled on it, but it was a long time that's for sure, and every time I thought about it I'd curse myself internally. I formed a fist and bumped it to my head, but a hand stopped it after the second time.

He woke up.

"Don't do this to yourself, Noah. It's not your fault."

"What part of I'll protect you don't you understand? But I can't do that if you don't tell me what's happening with you. I mean it's obvious that this is not Casper's doing. It's much worse."

He took my hand in his, and squeezed it tightly every few seconds as if to make sure it was real.

"Alright I'll tell you," he said, looking me in the eyes, "but first, could you lie down with me, please?" It was a plea rather than a question.

My bed wasn't big enough but it wasn't too small. I was just worried that I might hurt him. "Are you sure you'll be comfortable, I ca-"

"Yes, I'm sure. I just want to feel you next to me. you make me feel safe." My heart skipped a beat at that.

I slid my arm under his delicate frame, and rested his body over mine, his head fitting in the crook of my neck, and he slid his arm over my waist.

"My dad kicked me out of the house yesterday," he started, "and said that he didn't want to see me again, and he threatened me not to defy him, which I did. I don't have any place to go, so I stayed at home. I thought about leaving a few times, but I always ended up clutching the door knob, yet backing out just before twisting it open," His voice was beginning to crack. "I just didn't know where to go. My closest relative lives two states away. When he came back and saw me still in the house, he lashed out all his anger on me. I don't even remember how many hits I took before I managed to run away, and I kept walking until my feet led me here. I barely made it to your house and I sat against the wall for a couple of hours before you showed up." Oh God how could someone do this to his own son?

"I'm sorry I didn't show up earlier, I'm really really sorry I can't forgive myself for this."

"It's okay. You didn't know. Heck I didn't know that you weren't home. I just needed to sit down someplace no one would kick me off of."

"I'm too mortified. You should've told the police." It seemed like the best thing to do.

"God no. I don't know what he might do if I tip the cops on him. It's good, you're here now aren't you?"

"Always."

"I don't want to go back to that place Noah" his voice broke, and I knew it was coming "I can't go back. I just can't take it anymore."

"Shh, don't say anything. You don't have to go anywhere, you can stay here in my bed for as long as you need. I'm not gonna let you go back there anyway. You'll be safe with me." I reassured him because that was what he needed now. Not revenge or peace or anything. Just reassurance. "Now rest, nothing is gonna hurt you while you're in my arms, you know that right?"

"Yes, Yeah I trust you." he switched from talking to whispers. I felt his breath changing from heavy to steady and then soft, and I knew he was sound asleep. I didn't stay up long before following.

That's how I defined the word.

A/N: Hello, it's me. I was wondering if y'all still liking the story. To go over, every chapter. They say that time's supposed to make it better, but I don't know. I'm cringing too dw.
Hope you guys are enjoying the story.
Vote. Rn.
Comment too.
More soon x.