Long Ride

"Im impressed" Jorge starts, after only a little while of driving. "You guys almost lasted a whole day." Jorge says jokingly. We all smirk a little, except for Newt who is still staring at me. His hands fidgeting in his lap. He's nervous, or scared, or both.

"I know im beautiful, but you don't have to keep staring." I say jokingly, I pretend to flip my hair and throw a smile his way. He forces a smile back before looking towards Thomas. Causing my smile to droop. I look at Thomas to and see Brenda staring at us.

"im sorry, I didn't want to bring you guys into this." He says, a slight smile on his face. "Hey, I think what he's trying to say is, thanks for saving us." Fry chimes in, before crouching his way over to me.

"You good?" He asks me. I nod, Fry settles back down in his seat.

"You're welcome." Brenda responds to Fry, before falling back into her seat as well.

I look into the rear view mirror and see Jorge looking at me.

"You okay, hermana?" He asks me worriedly. I wave him off. "Im fine, dont worry about it. Im probably immune anyways, that's why they put us in the maze right?" I say as I look around the car, my gaze stops at Newt who is looking at his hands slightly shaking his head, as if the answer to my question is no.

"Besides" I start "if I die, at least I put in my contribution to get sassy queen back." I smile at my irony. I see slight smirks on everyone's faces, even Newts, and that melts my heart.

"Don't get your hopes up." Jorge starts "That was the city's last defence, if that was over run, chances are the city is to." Jorge says. Keeping his eyes on the road. I look up at the sky, watching as the little clouds slowly shift in the sky. I shake my hand a little as I begin to feel angsty out of nowhere,but it goes away quick, as if it was never even there. I furrow my brows at myself.

Weird...

I am pulled out of my thoughts as I hear Newt begin to speak. "Yeah... unless they figured out some other way to keep the cranks out." He says, looking out of his window into the vast scorched land. I slowly peek over everyone's shoulders and see a city in the far distance, buildings towering over us and other buildings. Around the whole city, big metal walls, kinda like the maze but probably a lot nicer. I am shot forward a little as Jorge steps on the breaks as he sees the city, his mouth slightly agape. Everyone hops out of the car, I try to move but screech through gritted teeth as my arm goes through a sharp pain. My leg doesn't hurt as bad anymore, as the shard of glass was pretty small and only nearly grazed my leg, but my arm was a whole other story. The glass went pretty deep, not deep enough to kill me of course, but deep enough to hurt. Bad. The long scratch that the glass made in my forearm is manageable but dangerous if it gets infected. Newt jogs back to the truck but I shoo him away.

"Im fine, just check on me when you figure out a plan." I say meaner than expected. I close my eyes shut tightly as I begin to think.

That sounded meaner than I meant it... why does that keep happening?

I hear Newts footsteps get further away from me, along with other footsteps.

"Funny." Newt starts "we spent nearly fours years trapped inside walls trying to break out, and now we want to break back in." Newt finishes, I grin at the irony.

"Yeah." I add "its hilarious" I say with a smirk. This causes Newt to look out me with a playful smile plastered on his face. I roll my eyes at him playfully before looking back down at the leg.

I bet if we stitched it and let it sit for a few hours I will be fine.

I am pulled from my thoughts when I hear Thomas' voice.