A Hope

My hands moved the brush back and forth, scrubbing the stone tiles. My hands had blisters from the scrubbing, my arms ached, my shoulders were tense. I looked to the clock on the wall only to see that it was twelve midnight. I've been scrubbing since morning.

I get up off my hands and knees. Picking up the brush and the metal bucket, I walk to the back door, going into the dark woods, I pour the water out at the edge.

Straightening up, I walk past the garden and stables and into the big stone mansion. Opening the storage cabinet, I put the bucket and brush in there and close the door. I slowly walk up the stone grand staircase. Getting to the top, I turn left, and open the simple wooden door. I walk up the spiraling stairs to another wooden door. That is my room.

My raggedy bed is pressed against a corner by the window. My dresser with my broken mirror is on the other side of the window. It's filled with very little clothes.

I step towards my bed and lay down, thinking about my life. Ever since my mother died and my father remarried, my step-family has made me their servant. They were jealous that I was my father's favorite. How could I not be? I was his and his first mate's child. They were jealous so they made him hate me. They would hit me when he wasn't looking and spit on me. Who would ever treat a child like that?

In the span of five years, I lost my mother and father. My mother died when I was eight and my father remarried when I was ten, and I gained a new evil step mother and two step brothers.

At the age of thirteen, I became the servant of my own home. My father left everything to me, so they only had the house, not my mother's money. I can't kick them out until I'm eighteen, which is in two years time since I'm only sixteen.

A sound pulls me from my thoughts. Turning my head to the window, my cat, Harry sits on the window sill. I smile and he jumps onto my bed then curls up at the on my feet. I yawn and pull the blanket under my neck. I hope tomorrow is a better day. I know it probably won't but it's always nice to have hope.

***