Part 15

Narrator

Natasha was putting their kids to sleep, singing a lullaby with Maggie in her lap, while James and Anthony lay on either side.

Steve and Tony stood outside, both hesitant, not wanting to take away the moment from her.

"She doesn't deserve this" Clint said, "while we lost our families, she just got one. We need to keep Natasha out of this"

"But Wong insists, we need her to decide for herself, " Steve said, "My family is just as important as all those that were destroyed ".

They stayed still until all the kids were fast asleep and then Steve went inside to call her.

They all gathered in the discussion room and Wong repeated his words.

"What do you mean?" Steve stepped forward, standing in front of Natasha, protectively.

"I will let you decide for yourself, but first. Listen to what this book has to say" Wong said.

Wong opened the large book after carefully placing it on a table and started reading,
" Six infinity stones we made
A mad titan would crave
Together with their help
A lot would be erased.
Six heroes would thus arrive
A stone would each define
A genius with a mind so bright
A soldier out of time
One who would want to change reality
One whose soul in family resides
A god who lived through generations
And an incredible power station.
Together they would make it right.
A stone represents the hero within whom it would reside"

Everyone was shocked. They all exchanged looks, and Wong closed the book.

"Power," Wong said looking at Bruce, "Space" he nodded at Thor, "soul," he said to Clint.
"Time" he looked at Steve.

"Reality," Natasha said herself.

"Mind!" Steve said. Everybody started at Tony.

"The ancient one had looked through time and space and written this book herself. She had put an enchantment, that we couldn't break until the time came. This book presented itself to me when the snap occurred and it took me five years to finally get access to it".

" Strange knew," Tony said, " he saw the alternate futures, he said there was only one way and.."

"He saved your life because he knew, you six need to be together, to defeat Thanos, to reverse the snap, and to nullify the powers of the gauntlet, you six need to take the stones" Wong explained.

Steve sat down, and so did Natasha.

"My kids," Natasha said, panicking, "what would happen to my kids? If we? No, we.."

"Nat, we have to save the universe. We were chosen for the job before we even existed" Steve said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Steve, you..you were..where would our kids go? who would take care of them? What if their existence ends when we reverse the snap" Natasha was weeping now, her hand on her chest.

"We'll find a way," Tony said sitting beside Natasha, " we won't let anything affect your children"

"They'll be safe," Wong said, " I would trap them between dimensions. Whatever happens in our reality would not affect them. And when everything settles, I'll get them back."

"And we won't let anything to happen to you. No matter what happens, you would return to our kids" Steve promised.

"We would. Together!" She said, " and if we don't, Wanda and Vision would be guardians of our children. If we are unable to bring them back too, Clint, Tony, whoever survives among us"

"Natasha" Bruce sat down on his knees, " The hulk is very difficult to kill. So." He swallowed hard, " I promise to look after your children".
His face changed green and he spoke in Hulk's voice, " I promise too"

Natasha smiled and wiped her tears, " when do we need to go?"

"Soon," Wong said.

"We need to say our goodbyes then," Steve said standing up, "we need to prepare for the biggest battle".

________

Natasha

I hugged my sleeping children, holding them close. Maybe it was the last time I was holding them. I might never see them again.

"We need to tell them," Steve said, his eyes full of tears, while my eyes were soaked too. My heart wounded.

"No, we cannot. They are so small, Steve. We. We need to keep them this way. Asleep, till we. " I sobbed. My happiness was short lived and incomplete, but at least I lived a life I always wanted to have. A husband, my perfect love story, three children, the experience of motherhood, thrice.

Steve came close and picked up Maggie, holding her close to his heart. We cuddled our children, holding each other's hands, spending the little time we had as a complete family.

"Someone would make it back," he said, " They won't be alone".

We cuddled into bed together, with our children between us, making the best of our moment.

______

"You will stay," Tony said to Rhodes, " we need someone to stay with the children if we do not succeed".

"I would be glad to," Rhodes said, " the responsibility of the children is big".

Steve and I held sleeping, Maggie and Anthony and James was in Clint's arms. We lay them on a large bed and kissed their foreheads.

"We love you," I said, "I hope you forgive us".

There wasn't much to say, only feelings that were overwhelmed. No matter how much we held them, it was not going to be enough. So we had to step back and prepare ourselves for the most painful goodbye.

Steve put his hand on my shoulder and I hugged him crying my heart out, not facing the bed where Wong worked on our children, putting them into sleep and getting them trapped between dimensions, to keep them safe.

"They'll be safe and they'll live even if we do not " Steve said.

"Yes, they'll be safe, that's what matters" I said between sobs.

*******
I'll try to finish this story before endgame arrives.
Do give your reviews.