Chapter Twenty-Seven

Finally the vacation was over. I never thought at the beginning of the week that I'd be glad to be going home.

Steph has been sad, Lisa has been begging for forgiveness, and Leo has been, well, Leo. He isn't acting any different. He's not sad, he's not begging for forgiveness, he's just Leo. And that pisses me off. 

He ruined everything between my two best friends, and I'm the awkward middle guy. I don't want to take sides but at the same time Steph did nothing wrong and Lisa messed up big time.

So I've mostly been avoiding them and hiding out at the coffee shop with Liam and sometimes Garrett. At least that gave me more than enough time to try every flavour of tea.

And now we're heading to the airport. Liam driving, me in the passenger seat, and Lisa and Leo in the back while Garrett and Steph followed behind us.

Now I'm glad we got two rental cars instead of a van.

So far it's been very tense and heavy in here, no ones said a thing, and we didn't even have the radio on. I was scared moving the wrong way might set someone off.

Lisa's been avoiding Leo like the plague prior to today, probably scared that even being seen around him would make things worse, so I'm just waiting for something to happen now that they're right beside each other.

"Do you think I should send her another text? She hasn't replied to any of my other ones but maybe this time-" Lisa began before being cut off my Leo.

"She doesn't want to talk to you, get over it."

My jaw dropped at his words, that was really harsh.

"Excuse me? This is all your fault, you might not care about her but I do! She's my best friend!" Lisa shot back.

Leo laughed bitterly, "Was. She was your friend, not anymore."

"Because of you!" She yelled.

I stared wide eyed at Liam, hoping he could stop this fight but it didn't even look like he was listening. He was just focused on the road ahead. Smart man, this isn't really our business.

"Look, Stephanie wouldn't even know about what we did if Emma didn't tell." Leo argued, dragging me into this mess.

"She had every right to tell Steph, I don't blame her at all. It was our fault, it never should've happened, so don't drag Emma into this." Lisa defended me. She gets it, even if she did a bad thing, she's not a bad person.

"Oh come on! Don't pretend to be all good now that Emma's around! You weren't being so nice about her before we-"

"Enough!" Liam cut off Leo's sentence. "Don't you dare bring Emma into this. She didn't do anything wrong, that's on you two. I don't want to hear one more word about this." He basically ordered as he took my hand in his and gave it a comforting squeeze.

I squeezed back to let him know I was okay, and to say thank you, and a sly wink my way let me know that he got my silent message.

I'm so lucky to have him.

The rest of the drive was completely silent, and I sighed in relief when we arrived at the section of the airport where we give back the rental cars.

"I'm glad that's over." Liam whispered to me when we were both out of the car.

I giggled at the overly dramatic relieved look he made as he spoke, and grabbed his hand when he offered it.

We met up with Garrett and Steph a minute later, and that's when things got even more awkward, if that's even possible.

No one spoke except for when Liam and Garrett gave the car keys back to the people working at the rental place, and the tension in the air was so thick I could cut it with a knife.