Chapter Thirty-One

When Damian arrived at the mountain the next morning, he walked into the med bay to find a very worn looking West. The red-headed speedster looked up as he approached, the bags under his eyes shone on his pale, freckled face.

'Jesus, West you look awful.' Said Dami. 'Have you been to sleep recently?' He said it with his usual cold tone, but there was also underlining concern.

'Dick's lung almost collapsed during the night.' Said Wally, covering a yawn. He opened the door to Dick's room. The boy was asleep, an oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth, every breath sounded laboured. 'Jay and I were up half the night trying to keep him relatively stable.'

'Why isn't he ventilated?' asked Damian, though he already thought he knew the answer.

'He refused.' Said Wally with a shrug. 'He is refusing any kind of treatment that might prolong his life. He will only allow me to make him more comfortable.'

'So, he wants to die.' Said Damian, more to himself than to West.

'No, I think he's in pain.' Said Wally thoughtfully. 'He tries not to let us see, but he's in so much pain. Even the medication I'm giving him now isn't touching it.'

Damian sighed, a few months ago they were worried that Dick was unable to die, if only they had known the reaper was already closing in.

'Where is Todd?'

'Annie dragged him off somewhere, must have been important or Jason wouldn't have left.'

'Go and get some sleep West, I'll sit with Richard.'

The speedster nodded and left Damian with his nephew. Damian sat down beside the bed and watched the other male's chest rise and fall in uneven patterns. Every breath appeared to be hard work for him.

As though sensing the new pair of eyes watching him, Dick's eyelids lifted slowly, and the bright yellow eyes shifted to the side.

'Hello, Richard.' Said Dami, quietly. 'I hear you've had quite the night.'

Dick blinked a few times before slowly raising his hand to the mask on his mouth and pulling it down.

'I want...this to....be...over.' Dick breathed. Damian nodded and tried not to react too much to what the younger had just said; he knew he was probably the only person Dick would talk like this in front of. Damian was the one person who would not judge even his darkest thoughts.

'I know, Richard.'

'Promise me.'

'Promise you what?' Damian sat forward so that Dick wouldn't have to strain himself too much to be heard.

'Promise me...you...won't let them.... put me.... on.... ice.' He took a moment to catch his breath. 'I don't want...to.... drag...this out.'

Damian looked uneasy.

'You once said.... you would kill....me your...self.' Dick said calmly, 'I'm not asking you to....do that. Just .... don't ...let them ....' He began to cough, and Damian jumped forward to press the mask back over his face.

'Richard.' Damian hesitated, he knew as soon as he promised what Richard was requesting, he was basically letting the boy die.

Dick pushed Damian's hand and the mask away, so he could talk. 'I am...a... dead man...walking.' Dick wheezed. 'Please. Dami. As a lawyer. Please.'

Dami caved. He got the message. Dick was assigning him with a verbal DNR. Do not resuscitate. Dick wasn't just telling him because Damian wouldn't judge him. He was asking Damian because he knew Dami would stand his ground against Jason. Just like he did in court.