Chapter 13

JUNGKOOK’S POV

“Joon, how to know if a person is our child or not?” I braved up myself to ask Namjoon. 

"DNA is the easiest. Why?"

"Erm... Other than DNA?" I asked again.

"The child's characteristics. Is she inherit some of her parents' characteristics? But that can be wrong. There was a case where her mom doesn't have long eyelashes. She did sex with two men. One of them had long eyelashes and the child also has long eyelashes. So they thought it was B's child but when they do a DNA test, B is not the child's biological father. So, it is better to do DNA."

"But... poor that girl. She should take a blood test and so on," I looked at my feet.

"Oh my God, Jeon Jungkook!! I know you are dumb about Science but don't say that you forget such these simple things!" Namjoon smashed a mug that was nearly reached his mouth. How could he stop drinking just to scold me? Huhu.

But, is there any other ways that can be done to do the DNA test?

"Is there any ways other than taking blood?" I asked.

"Isseo (There is). Wait! Whose DNA are you going to do?" he asked me.

"Do you still remember the kid that I looked after in this hospital?"

"I don't remember her face but I know she's existed because we met because of her. Why?" he asked.

Like I'd mentioned, even though this hospital is near to my house, but I never met Namjoon before because he worked at pediatric ward... Until Sejeong was admitted, that's when I met Namjoon back.

"Ok, here it is. Do you still remember how can she be my wife's daughter but not mine?" I asked to make things short. Namjoon nodded while creasing his forehead. Our body got closer as if I don't want Yuna to hear our conversation even though she's not here. I don't even know why I shorten my distance with Namjoon.

"Ok, I just realised that Sejeong was born 8 months after Eunbi's birthday. Don't you find it's suspicious?" I asked.

"For me, it's not weird because we have pre-mature cases. Besides, when she is 8 months, her features are all complete. But we may need to hold her in an incubator as her heart might be weak," Namjoon explained more and more that I don't even understand what is he talking about.

"But, Sejeong told me myself that she was 9 months when being born. Sperm took 24 hours to infuse the ovum, right?" I asked with a very confident face. Namjoon narrowed his eyes looking at me.

"You remember clearly that part, huh?"

I just scratched my head while smiling at him.

"Ok, how about this. You just take the DNA test on that kid. Take her hair sample. I can help you but you need to put your name as the kid's daughter to sign an agreement with the hospital to do that test," Namjoon explained.

"Seriously?" I asked. Namjoon nodded.

Well, I 'm going to ruin his integrity by making him my alliance. But, I need to settle this puzzle. Yuna surely won't tell me the truth if I asked her nicely. So, I need to make Namjoon on my side and at the same time scratched his integrity and ethics as a doctor. Besides, if Yuna was going to tell me (if Sejeong is really my daughter), she might do it before. Are 10 years not enough to make her ready?

***

"Eomoni, is Yuna home?" I asked as soon as my calling was answered.

"No. Are you going to come here?" she asked and I said yes.

I was invited to come over and without wasting more time, I left all my work and went to my parents-in-law's house. I took a half day leave and drove straight to Yuna's parents' house since I can't think straight ever since 3 days ago as the same question kept echoing in my head.

I walked quickly towards the elevator and pushed a button to go downwards since my office is at the highest level. In less than 10 seconds, the elevator was getting up and the door started to open. I didn't wait until the door was fully open and dashed into it. I pushed the B button, which is the level where I parked my car.

Since now is not the lunch hour, so none of my workers was going to use the elevator except those who wished to go to managers' room to hand in their report and so on so this elevator didn't stop at many levels.

As soon as I reached B level, I dashed out from the elevator while unlocking my car which was parked a few steps from the elevator. I didn't wait for the engine to heat up. I just drove quickly to Yuna's house.

I reached her house 5 minutes earlier than I supposed to. I didn't wait long to get out of the car and entered the house. Appa, who was now retired welcomed me. I was invited to get in.

"Why are you here?" appa asked.

"It's like this..." I told them the truth directly.

"No way. Yuna won't do such this thing..."

"Yes, I know but I still want to do the DNA test. I didn't mean to say she's lying but... I... I don't know. I can't explain why..." I stared at my feet. Appa is no joke. If I said something wrong, just a word from me, I'll lose my head.

"If I give you my hair, will you find my dad?" a shaking voice asked. I looked at my left. Sejeong! I was glued! Did she hear what we were saying?

"Oh, Sejeong... Why did you come out of your room? Do you need anything?" eomoni asked.

"Ahjussi, can you find my dad if I give you my hair to do the DNA test?" Sejeong asked again and this time, her tears were flowing down.

If she's not my daughter, how do I find her dad?

I was touched to see her flowing tears. So I stood up from my seat and went nearer to that kid. I hugged her, saying indirectly that she's not alone and she didn't have to bear the pain alone. In our hug, I nodded, signing that I will try if that can make her smile.

After we untangled our hug, Sejeong took two to three line of her long hair and gave them to me. I took it. That is the only thing I had to find out the truth. Sejeong asked me to wait and she went to her room.

"Is Sejeong having a fever again?" I asked and both of my parents-in-law nodded. She seems too often to fall sick.

"Put my hair in this," Sejeong who was just rushed out from her room gave me a small paper that was folded and became a mini envelope. I took it from her hand and put the hair into that mini envelope. Then, I put the envelope into my pocket.

"Mummy," Sejeong greeted Yuna and ran to her.

"Oh, had the headache gone?" she asked while kneeling and hugged Sejeong. Then, Yuna kissed her head.

Sejeong shook her head.

"Mummy, I think I need to move a lot. I'll feel much better than being in the room," Sejeong continued her answer. Yuna laughed than she got up.

At that time, we made eye contact.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. I shook.

"Err... Nothing. I just came by to meet eomoni and abeonim. Err... I 'll get going first, eomoni, abeonim?"

"Have a lunch first," eomoni invited me but I need to get to the hospital quickly. I don't want to wait any longer to do the test.

"Oh! It's okay. I need to hurry," I refused politely.

"Do you still have a meeting during lunch hour?" she asked. Even though having lunch with a client is a normal thing, but I didn't know why she asked.

"No. I took half day leave today.. I'm going to the hospital..." Realising I almost slipped out my tongue, I controlled my expression so that Yuna won't suspect anything.

But, Yuna looked at me while narrowing her eyes.

"Are you sick?" she asked.

"No... Just... you know? Something..." I replied. Yuna cannot know that I have a friend at that hospital. If she found out, she might not send Sejeong to that hospital anymore. It will be hard if I want to meet Sejeong if she's admitted to hospital in the future.

"Hurm, he's the one who refused. Let him be," Yuna mumbled. Is it me who was delusional or Yuna sounds like she's hurt?

I didn't wait long to take off my feet from there. I bowed to my parents-in-law and took my steps to the front door. I turned my body and smiled at Sejeong. She smiled back at me. When I looked at Yuna, she brought her eyes away from me. I was used to that and just accepted it. I continued stepping away from the house.

My destination is one- A hospital where Namjoon works.