them

They knew that they were the odd couple at school.

They knew that everyone was disgusted. She shouldn't be with a guy like him. He shouldn't have ruined his life being with her. Worst decision he ever made, they said.

They knew that they were complete opposites. She was acing her classes, he was failing them. He could sing...and she could not.

They knew that they didn't belong together. They could hear the whispers when they sat together at lunch, and when she tutored him in the library.

They knew that they were hopelessly in love with each other. Always together, whispering serets and swinging hands. Passing notes in class. Murmuring endless nothing on the phone until they both fell asleep.

They knew that they didn't care about each other's past.

They knew that they were special to each other. She rarely smiled. Rarely talked. Never laughed. But somehow, when he was around, the corners of her mouth lifted. She found herself shyly chatting to him, sometimes giggling at his stupidity and funny faces, his attempts to cheer her up. He never sang in front of anyone. Played his guitar in front of anyone. For anyone. To anyone. But she seemed to be the exception to that.

But, as they say, all good things must come to an end.